Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning disability and home schooling my kids.

Posted by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

I have a learning disability in math.  It's basically numeric dyslexia, but the term is dyscalculia.  I am very bad at math...to the point that I am scared to teach it to my kids.  I don't have to worry about it for a while, but what do I do?
   HOw do I teach my kids math, beyond the basics, when I struggle to even comprehend it myself?  I don't want my dyslexia to get in the way of homeschooling.

Has anyone had this issue, or been here before?  Are there options, or possible tutors?  Tips would be greatly appreciated!

by on May. 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katzmeow726
by on May. 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

hi katzmeow!  ive not heard of dyscalculia, but you could get a tutor when its time, or send them to a coop homeschool group where they teach math, there are also sites online to tutor kids with math, some of the curriculum places like bju abeka have videos for math, theres always a way!

debbie

katzmeow726
by on May. 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

The church we will be using has a co-op, I may have to look into that! 

As for dyscalculia, this is a good article on it!
http://www.ncld.org/ld-basics/ld-aamp-language/ld-aamp-math/what-is-dyscalculia

Quoting oredeb:

hi katzmeow!  ive not heard of dyscalculia, but you could get a tutor when its time, or send them to a coop homeschool group where they teach math, there are also sites online to tutor kids with math, some of the curriculum places like bju abeka have videos for math, theres always a way!

debbie

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:01 AM

i am TERRIBLE at math! hate the stuff! practically allergic to it!

i have several family members that are excellent at math & they have offered to help out when the time comes. we will also use other resources such as online courses :)

Lynette
by Member on May. 21, 2011 at 2:12 AM

I struggle with math.  So that is the one subject that DH is teaching the kids,  I teach the rest

luvthesoap
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I stink at math. I never got passed basic math in high school. We use Saxon math with the dive cd's to teach math. Another good one is Teaching Textbooks, or Math U See. They all are self-teaching .

Betty in Ky

ziff130
by on May. 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM

I was homeschooled and my mom was dyslexic so she hired a tutor when I got up in the higher math. I was also diagnosed as a little girl with ADD, dyslexia, and reading comprehension problems. My sis had ADHD so all three of us were home doing school work together but we did it. Now, I am homeschooling my children with these issues. I know it will work out. My hubby helps too and if he doesn't have time to help when the kids are older then I'll get him a tutor too. :) hehe! Also, I think my ds is ADD and he is showing signs of dyslexia but he hasn't been diagnosed with anything

AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 24, 2011 at 3:58 AM

I was just going to suggest what some of the other moms did.  Tutor or family member, or even swapping with another homeschooling family.  Maybe you could teach their kids something you are good at and they could help your children with Math.  We use Math U See and its very basic.  Once my kids got down their basic counting, 1-100 they've pretty much learned to do everything else almost on their own.   I rarely have to help them.  This program is sooooo step by step and even has videos if need be to watch for instruction with each lesson, though we've never needed them.  I am not learning disabled when it comes to math (well maybe I am), just not the best at it.... go figure its my childrens stregth.  I say don't stress, cross the bridge when you get there, it will all come together :)  <hugs> 

oredeb
by on May. 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM

katzmeow, a mom just posted this site for math maybe it would be of some help? http://www.ixl.com/membership/family/homeschool and sonita said that you can do 20 problems a day without paying. and she posted another site that free for math  http://www.mathabc.com/

found another site, i think its british but would still work  http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

debbie

akrsmomma
by on May. 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM
My dd does Math U See. She watches the DVD and does the work. I watch with her to help if needed, but so far she's been able to do it just by watching the DVD
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)