Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Home schooling my friend's child?

Posted by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

My mom asked me if it was legal for me to home school our friend's child alongside my children.  I told her I'd check.  Kentucky says home schools are "non-public" schools, same as any other private school, and there are unaccredited private schools where the teacher is not related to the students, so maybe?  I'm having trouble finding official laws for Kentucky on the educational website.  (For now, the boy is almost 3, so it wouldn't matter--compulsory age is 6-16.)  He's one day younger than my daughter, so they'd likely be doing the same things most of the time.

Thanks for any support!
Clara

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MrsM121
by on May. 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I would contact your local homeschooling association where you live if you are in one.  HSLDA.org is another good place to find information on your state laws.  I know in my state, SC, you have to be a parent or legal guardian to homeschool a child, but at 3 I really wouldn't stress that too much.  It is when you have to legally register for homeschooling that the rules apply IMO.

FlyHippie
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM

I think the laws in Texas are that you can homeschool your own, but to homeschool others you have to be a certified teacher.....I think? But I've known people who taught others...and they weren't "certified"...

luvthesoap
by on May. 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I live in KY and have homeschooled 2 of my nephews. Yes, you can, but the parent is the one that has to send in the letter of intent for that child. You are good to go!

Betty in Ky

peanut06
by on May. 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Thanks, Betty!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM
CA it would fall more under childcare laws. You could homeschool one chaild/family under your "private school" but would have to have a childcare license for more tam one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on May. 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I see your question has been answered! YAY!

For future refernece if you have any questions about your state law you can read it here and if you are a member of HSLDA (which is just $10/mo) you can call and ask them any of your questions!

Good luck!

Sonita -Mom to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

~Click to win your own SmartKlean Laundry ball! A $45 value! (Ends 5/23)