Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Best reading program/ workbook?

Posted by on May. 22, 2011 at 5:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

I have a dd that will be in 1st next fall and I'm looking to find a good something that will really help with reading?  We plan to do workbooks so is there anything on that line that works great to help her learn to read?  Also any other great workbooks on other subjects that you think are great?  Love to hear it. 

expecting babylistening to tunesskateboardingtoddler girlbaby girl

by on May. 22, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MrsM121
by on May. 22, 2011 at 5:55 PM

I'm not sure about any programs that help with reading because all mine loved reading from the beginning.  I read and read to them and they read and read to me.  It's a day to day activity in our house.  I've heard about those 'your child can read' programs but I never looked into the because reading is one of those just do it type of things in our house.

Lynette
by Member on May. 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM

a lot of my friends like "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons".  But that didn't click for my son.  What is working great for him is "sing spell read and write"

saltyalley1227
by on May. 22, 2011 at 6:16 PM

My 6 year old sister still does your baby can read and it works great but its expensive.  if you have other kids though its totally worth it.  They also have your child can read and I assume it works equally well.

SAHMinIL2
by on May. 22, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Lynette:

a lot of my friends like "teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons".  But that didn't click for my son.  What is working great for him is "sing spell read and write"

We tried 100 easy lessons for my children (borrowed it from the library), but it just didn't work for us. What has worked for us is the Funnix program. It was $249 program, I got it for free and now the price has been reduced to $25.  $25 gets you both funnix and funnix 2 along with the pdf files of the workbook pages.

Funnix is made by the same author of teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. They just came out with a funnix math program that will be made available for the month of June for free. I'm thinking about downloading that as well to use with my nephew seeing my own kids math skill are above the program.

luvthesoap
by on May. 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM

It's not a workbooks, but I HIGHLY recomemend Jumpstart.com .

Betty in KY

Mamagirlz
by on May. 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Thanks!  I'll have to look into those!

Michelle914
by on May. 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM

Explode the Code worked well for us.  My six year old was reading and writing the words after the first lesson!  It is a work book and you get a teacher guide to go with it.

MommaChell
by on May. 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Good info, I look forward to checking it out. My 4yro is really coming along in her reading I'm looking to keep her active with new material.

ladyluke2007
by on May. 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I don't get a lot from companies, but I did get a book from Staples that has just about all the subjects in it.  When I didn't have a computer and I had to make due, I got those, they had great starter words.  The book was about 2 to 3 inches thick and you could pull out the pages and copy them.  Then I used it to go over words all year long.  It was $10.  Wal-mart and Meijers have books that you can get too.  Library is an awesome place to go too.  They have all kinds of books for young children.  I found with mine that if I find a subject that they are interested in like cars, dinosaurs, Ancient Egypt is what my 14 year old learn to read a lot better - finding a subjet that they like makes it easier for them to sit still and want to read.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)