Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Two nearly Three year old twins. Looking for advice.

Posted by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do with my twins. I would like to do something a bit scheduled and sit down but I really don't have any idea of what to do. My husband would like me to do homeschooling. Me, I would like to send them off to headstart but he thinks that will only lead them down the wrong path. He is a REAL christian. Homeschooling scares the heck out of me. 

Trying to be the best mom and follower of Christ. Please feel free to help me in anyway you see fit. I love to try to make new friends.

by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamanthaAgain
by on May. 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Right now you want to focus more on establishing a habit than real teaching.  At 3 years old, they are still learning from DOING, rather than sit down lessons.  Your "school time" could really be any sit-down activity at this point.  Coloring, doing a puzzle, playing a game, reading a book, just about anything.  Just make sure you do it at the same time and in the same place every time so that they start to see a routine forming.

Good luck!

KelleyBamboo
by on May. 23, 2011 at 1:39 AM
My oldest is close to the same age. We started letter of the week a few weeks ago, and really we just sit down and craft fir a bit after breakfast. We read before and after nap, practice tracing after dinner, and play on starfall.com before bed. I think our sit down time, (aside from reading because we generally read five or six books at a time) totals all of about 20-30 minutes a day, and that is broken up into three or four sittings.
At this age they learn more by doing, so throughout the day we count and sing about everything. We looks for shapes and letters he knows we go outside at least once, Gauge (ds) helps me in the kitchen, helps me clean, etc. He seems to be learning A LOT from just living life and being a kid :)
Can I ask why you dot want to homeschool??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 2:13 AM

Quoting KelleyBamboo:

My oldest is close to the same age. We started letter of the week a few weeks ago, and really we just sit down and craft fir a bit after breakfast. We read before and after nap, practice tracing after dinner, and play on starfall.com before bed. I think our sit down time, (aside from reading because we generally read five or six books at a time) totals all of about 20-30 minutes a day, and that is broken up into three or four sittings.
At this age they learn more by doing, so throughout the day we count and sing about everything. We looks for shapes and letters he knows we go outside at least once, Gauge (ds) helps me in the kitchen, helps me clean, etc. He seems to be learning A LOT from just living life and being a kid :)
Can I ask why you dot want to homeschool??

this sounds good

So_Blessed7
by on May. 23, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Go to Borders, or some other book store, and get preschool age workbooks. You can also go to http://www.abcjesuslovesme.com/ for free preschool curriculum. Everything is all laid out for you, it's great!

For kids their age, learn to recognize that learning is all around them. A walk around the block can be science:talking about and observing plants and animals, math: count the cars you see, colors: find a blue house!, language: engage in conversation as you walk. Talk to them like you'd talk to an adult. 

Let them help you bake cookies, which again is science, math, language, as well as fine motor skills and patience waiting for them to bake! 

Don't let homeschooling scare you, you can do it!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 9:44 AM

If you want something put together that you can follow, check out http://www.handsonhomeschooling.com/ She has curriculum's for 2-5 yr olds. I had bought the 2yr old and was very impressed. I will be getting the 5 yr old this year, now that I'm back home.

BetcCarter
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I think if you are the one that has to do the homeschooling you need to be comfortable with it! You should definitely pray for guidance about the situation.As far as homeschooling right now, I personally would not do anything too scructured. Even preschool is not overly structured but the point of homeschooling (in my mind) is to get awau from the overly structured school envinronment.

My son turn three tomorrow. One thing that I was doing just before we moved was going to a home based preschool group once a week. Do you know anyone else with kids the same age as yours? Try forming a group. We would meet once a week at someone house and have a quick lesson based on a letter and number or shape. We would have a craft and free playtime. It was great. Then at home I work with my son on shapes and letters during playtime. We  sit down and count his cars, sort them by color and size. I draw shapes for him to identify, sing songs, etc. Very casual and decontructed. This may not be the best for your family. You have to find what works for you.

Get some books on homeschooling and homeschooling style from your local libray and see what you think. If something pops out at you, write it down.

akrsmomma
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:54 AM

My 15 month old likes to sit and listen and try and do the fingerplays I do with my 4 year old. We just play, read books, sing songs, dance, run outside, dig for worms, climb trees, catch and release butterflies, plant flowers....The only person in my house that gets any structured school time is my 7.5 year old and it is only 2.5 hours a day (depending on how well she focuses, sometimes she takes a lot longer because of her lack of focus). 

oredeb
by on May. 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM

have fun with them twinstartermom! they are only 3! learn songs together, run around together, play, do lots of hands on stuff! paint together, read together! they will learn a lot from just doing that!

debbie

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I am doing a letter of the week theme with my 2.5 year old daughter. She really seems to enjoy it and I do see her learning new things each week!

http://inhiswayshomeschool.blogspot.com/

lvaughn26
by on May. 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I could give you all sorts of advice on activities to do, books to read, and websites to visit. My biggest piece of advice to you is that if you do not have a true desire for it, hsing will be HARD! Your desire and the knowledge that you are doing what you believe is best is what will keep you going on the days when you don't feel like hsing, the kids won't listen, and the housework is piling up. I think you should start there first and begin making some tough decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)