Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What curriculum?

Posted by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM
  • 18 Replies

So I am curious, what curriculum do you Ladies use?

by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RheaF
by Member on May. 23, 2011 at 9:07 AM

We are currently using Abeka, and so far we love it.

katzmeow726
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM
We are going to start with sonlight. Mainly so it will give me a good idea of how to do my own curriculum a year or two after, right when they will be k5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
akrsmomma
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:48 AM

We use Heart of Dakota. But I am thinking about adding Rod and Staff to it for the fall, for a little bit more structure. (we use Rod and Staff English currently and really like it). My 4 year old will start Rod and Staff preschool/kindergarten in the fall.

katzmeow726
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM
Can anyone give me a list of all the curriculum? I am doing research currently and need some other ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
akrsmomma
by on May. 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM

http://www.rainbowresource.com/index.php

http://homeschoolreviews.com/

Quoting katzmeow726:

Can anyone give me a list of all the curriculum? I am doing research currently and need some other ideas!

Rebecca
Momma to
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

nikki0522
by on May. 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM

We don't use a set curriculum, I use materials from multiple companies and resources. It's cheaper that way and we can pick and choose what we like.

swim-mom72
by on May. 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

We are pretty ecclectic with our curric choices. We have used and are using the following: Sonlight, MUS, Teaching Textbooks, Easy Grammar, ABeka, Apologia, Real Science 4 Kids, Winters Promise, Peace Hill Press, BJU, Queens Homeschool, Evan Moor, and Notgrass.

Here are some other companies that I have bookmarked, know people who have tried them, or heard about them: Heart of Dakota, My Father's World, K12, KONOS, Oak Meadow, Beautiful Feet, Greenleaf Press, SOS, Life of Fred, Horizons, Diana Warring, The Well Trained Mind, and Glenco.

When I first started Home Schooling, someone lent me the book 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curric. and it was one of the most helpful tools I used and still use, since I bought my own.

oredeb
by on May. 23, 2011 at 11:30 AM

for math i use saxon

for lang. arts i use rod and staff

for science bible history writing spelling/vocab crafts music gym handwriting etc i make up unit studies.

for a list of some of the curriculum out there http://cathyduffyreviews.com/

FlyHippie
by on May. 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

We use a huge variety... Math, we also use Saxon...we have done Health through Texas Tech, will also do English next year through them...We go to a homeschool "school" once a week for science lab and will do that next year, too...I have a teacher that teaches Spanish...We do a lot of "unit" studies for History, and use a variety of curriculums and movies and viewpoints since history is a tad subjective!   He's taken online classes to get continuing education credits...did one on grammar and writing and one on Greek Mythology. 

We did Spelling through Spelling Power...and he graduated that about two years ago, so no spelling now. 

For writing...I have a list of subjects, people, events, etc that are cut into strips and he draws one each week and writes a research paper OR a point of view type paper on each thing.

For literature, he's part of a teen book club and once a month they all get together and discuss the literary elements of each book...and each kiddo presents a discussion question and leads the discussion on that question....

We also do "Teen Classic Movie" night once a month, astronomy club once a month....drum lessons, etc. So he's learning all sorts of ways...we're a mix mash of curriculum! LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)