Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

new to the group.

Posted by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

hi all,

I am 30 yrs old and  have 3 girls. 10,6, and 4.  My husband and I are  thinking real hard  about homeschooling  my girls...  any words or helpful info  to help this fam that is on the fence

by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SouthernMama08
by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Hi there!  Welcome to the group!

Mamagirlz
by on May. 23, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Welcome!

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

wave

swim-mom72
by on May. 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Welcome to the group!

Everyone's reason for homeschooling is different, and there are no 2 homeschool styles that are alike. And that is one of the most beauitful parts of homeschooling for me. I LOVE that I can taylor fit a curriculum for each of my children and be in control of what and how they learn.

There is no perfect recipe for sucess with homeschooling, or any schooling for that matter. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible to guide you make the best decision for your family, using your library, your state's homeschool website, other homeschoolers, books, and the many, many homeschooling websites out there full of good info. And then just take a deep breath and dive in.

SimplySonita
by on May. 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM

welcome

Try it! What have you got to loose??

Homeschoolers score better on testing than convetionally schooled kids across the board whether the parents have a teaching degree or just a GED, if they spend $20/per child or $500/child, if they are rich or poor, in any state with any amount of regualtion. It is just a better education, because your child isn't being taught to the test, isn't being left behind on lessons they don't 'get' yet and aren't doign busty work waiting on their peers to catch up on lessons they already understand.

Try it for a year, commit to it, be ready for ups and downs, know why you want to homeschool and go for it! If it isn't for your family you can always put them back in PS next year!

Sonita -Mom to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

~Click to win your own SmartKlean Laundry ball! A $45 value! (Ends 5/23)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

oredeb
by on May. 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM

hi reese, im new here also and welcome!!

hey homeschooling is well worth it! and lots of fun!!! think about what you want for your kids, what you want them to learn, how you want them to learn, they will be with you all day long mostly, there will be hard times when they just dont get the concept your trying to teach them! but it will all work out, and theres plenty of help online! make the jump!!!hahahah my kids continually thank me for homeschooling them!

debbie

Christylove171
by on May. 23, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Welcome!!! I'm new too :)  My daughter is enrolled in the K12 homeschooling program and we love it, she learns so much. Does anyone else here use a different system?

AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 24, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Hi, Welcome!  I'm new to the group myself!  I have 4 boys.  11, 9, 7, and 2.  I work full time (own my own business), juggle homeschooling, household stuff, and all that other joyful things life throws at me! 

My biggest suggestion would be SUPPORT in and out of the home!  I wish I could just be home with the kids like I was when we first started homeschooling but financially we just can't do that anymore.  Support is all that has kept it together. It is def a team job!  Atleast I think so in order to not get burnt out or feel too stressed.  There are always going to be things you can learn from other people and things others can do better than you can! :)  My husband schools the boys on his days off and my sister babysits a day or two a week and when she's here she will also help school the boys!  As far as out of the house, having a group of friends that homeschool as well has been great!  Its awesome to share all the good things with people who understand and even greater to have someone to call when you are having those "have we lost our minds" days.   We all have those! 

We are just wrapping up school year 3 and I would have the say the biggest learning thing for me has been to let go.  Homeschooling doesn't need to be like regular school and sometimes letting go of all we have known is hard.  But if you can achieve the mentality that homeschooling will be different than regular school before you even get started, it will make life so much easier!  Feel free to PM me anytime!!!  Good luck to you and your family if you choose this Journey!  2 of my 4 have learning disablities so it has been a challenge for us but its also been the most wonderful experience!  Its great to really "know" your children... something we didn't have the advantage of when they were in public school.

<hugs>
Carey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)