Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feeling like a failure??

Posted by on May. 24, 2011 at 4:40 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi!  I have 4 boys.  11, 9, 7, and 2.  I work full time out of the house with my own business, struggle to keep the house and daily tasks together and homeschool my boys as well.  My older two have learning disabilities.  We are just wrapping up our 3rd homeschool year.  My husband and sister help a lot with homeschooling.  Whoever is home for the day does with the boys which works out really well.  The only thing that is very upsetting to me is that because of the older 2's learning disabilities and the time we have to spend (and how easily they get frustrated to tears) just to get the basics done (Reading and Math) we never get to do other things like Science, Social Studies, etc.  My kids do do a lot of art projects, cooking, traveling, Educational shows/movies, outside time and friend time when we aren't doing school things so they are getting a lot of other great experiences but I find myself still feeling like a failure a lot because we don't get more "School" stuff done.  I really would love to do the unschooling thing but am not totally there mentally.  I know it would prob benefit them but then I get all "typical" and start worrying about the future if we go that route.  Sorry if I'm rambling but am I on the only one that feels like they just aren't doing enough???? 

by on May. 24, 2011 at 4:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Melissa6705
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM
I feel the same way sometimes. I printed off everything that my DD needs to know by the end of the school year and as long as she knowsw that we are doing good. Also, time4learning.com has been wonderful helping with math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

what about trying a unit study in? some of them cover science and history!

SimplySonita
by on May. 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Why not base an art project on science or social studies? What about read alouds for science and social studies. Or buy  acheap book of experiments-like this one, and do experiments every week. If they are outside, why not work in some nature study? If they are cooking tha can count as math and some things as science (like baking ins a chemical reaction, why do onions carmalize?)If they'll watch educational movies/tv-why not work in science and social studies that way-do you have netflix? The Liberty Kids series is great for history. Netflix also has BEakman's World which is AWESOME for science!

I agree that unit studies might be the way to go-could you teach the oldest 3 together? Do unit studies based on civil war-then they learn history-and hteir reading, writing, math etc are based on the civil war-you're covering all subjects. Do a unit study on bugs-you're focus is science, but your 3 R's are covered just based on bugs!

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)