Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can a Few of You Share... ... ...

Posted by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

... ... ...what your day looks like with homeschooling?  I don't think we have a set time frame per day in my state; but we do have to go for 180 days.  I was hoping to see what other's days look like to get an idea for building our schedule.

by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Melissa6705
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM
we are very flexible. I printed off a sheet that has all our subjects and as long as they have checkmarks at the end of the day then it doesn't matter how it was done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsHubler
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:30 AM

That is a good idea with the print-off sheet!

Quoting Melissa6705:

we are very flexible. I printed off a sheet that has all our subjects and as long as they have checkmarks at the end of the day then it doesn't matter how it was done.

SouthernMama08
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM

My son is only 3, so he's not required to go to school yet.  But our homeschooling day normally looks something like-

Breakfast

Worksheets (he LOVES worksheets)

TV time (his favorite cartoon comes on at 9:30 our time)

Then play/computer time/ipod- his choice really

Lunch

Quiet time (oh how I LOVE quiet time!)

Then the afternoon is a combo of playing, reading, arts & crafts, whatever

And our day does change, we go to the library every other week.  We have play dates.  Stuff like that.

Danielle163
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I have a  notebook that I write everything in for that day. Each day has its own page with the date written at the top. I put the spelling words on there, what pages we are reading out of what books, etc. It seems like if I don't do this, I am just  spinning my wheels and we don't ever get the day done. Right now we are just reviewing and wrapping everything up. We have four days of school left for the 2010-2011 school year. Next year I plan on even more organization because DD will be in third grade and we are going to three hour days (we are going to have 2-3 more small/short classes). I want to be able to get her three hour school day done over a five hour time frame. (We do an hour and then DD takes a 45-60 minute break) She does better when she has a good break so thats the route we go. We usually start with math( 1 hour) then we go to language arts, grammar, poetry, phonics, reading, spelling, and writing all rolled up together( 1 hour) Then we have handwriting, critical thinking skills/logic,  foreign language, technology, keyboarding ( 1 hour)--these get staggered over the week. We have science twice a week with bigger blocks of time (65-75 minutes or more if needed) We used to have History/Geography twice a week, that will change a little because we are going to start using Sonlight. We have art twice a week and I'm looking into a keyboard and a computer tutor to teach it for music. And sometimes things get changed, the order, but just so everything gets covered it really doesn't matter.  You just kind of find your own ryhthm and what works for you

oredeb
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

we dont have any number of days for hsing here

but i start at 9 every morning, we do math first then lang. arts and then we do our unit studies and we are usually done by 12

debbie

swim-mom72
by on May. 24, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I write in a planner for both my boys. Everything they need to do for every day, and for every subject. This cuts way down on "Mom, what do I do next?" And also helps them to be more independant.

Here is what our day looked like this year:

9-9:30--Bible

9:30-10:30--History/Read-Alouds

BREAK 20min

10:50-12--Reading/Language

LUNCH 45min

12:45--1:45 Math

1:45-2:45--Science/Art & any other hands-on projects

2:45-4--Free Time

4-5--Chores

SimplySonita
by on May. 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

We have a rythm to our days bt no set order or times or anything.

My kids get free time in the AM-the breakfast, chores then school...we're kinda unschoolers so...it's usually not much if any 'traditional' school. We do a lot of oral work rather than written work, use manipulaties rather than worksheets for math, use the computer for stuff, Netflix has a great assortment of documentaries my older son loves. They love to help cook that counts as home ec at the very least-usually some math too.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)