Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your main reason for homeschooling?

Posted by on May. 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM
  • 49 Replies

Poll

Question: What is your MAIN reason for homeschooling?

Options:

Religious reasons (Feel God lead us to it, Feel it's Biblical, to inject religion in every subject, etc)

Better education at home (higer test scores, more in depth study, etc)

Teach child particular values, beliefs, and worldview

To develop character/morality

Object to what school teaches (Evolution, teaching to the test, etc)

Poor learning environment/safety issues at school (class size, bullies, fights, drugs, etc)

Customize or individualize the curriculum and learning environment for each child

Special needs of child were/could not be met in PS

Prefer the freedom homeschooling offers (Vacations, travel for work, Dr. Appt, etc)

My child had problems with PS and I can't afford private school, so homeschool was our only option

Close Relationships (Tightknit family, couldn't send my kids away all day, etc)

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

We all know most people think everyone homeschools for religious reasons, and while many do (statistically it is the 2nd most popular reason to homeschool), that isn't why everyone homeschools (and not everyone who does it for religious reasons is Christian! *GASP* LOL)

So share with us your main reason for homeschooling!

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

by on May. 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on May. 24, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Our main reason IS for religious reasons! LOL but it isn't our only reason!

hahaha I'm a sterotype! And I DO own a DENIM JUMPER!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHA

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

samsbaby78
by on May. 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM

we homeschool because my youngest(9 years old) was haveing problems. the school tested him and said that he needed more challanging work but they wouldnt give it to him. he also has a lot of focus problems and he learns better one on one. my oldest (13 years old) is still in public school and does very well, although we gave him the option to start homeschooling when we pulled youngest out and he chose to stay in.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM

We are homeschooling for religious reasons. We are all about discipleship. 

oredeb
by on May. 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

i said when i was 13 if i ever had kids i wouldnt send them to school! never even heard of homeschooling then. well i had kids and ive never sent them to school! my first reason was cuz of all the bullying so many! and then i thought why should the schools teach my kids when im perfectly fine to do it! and i could teach what i wanted them to learn. my reasons change!hhaha

debbie

nikki0522
by on May. 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I voted poor learning environment, although many of the options are on our list of reasons for homeschooling. We we first started homeschooling it was because of bully issues and my DS was only in kindergarten.

MrsHubler
by on May. 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM

All of the reasons are our main reasons.  Here is what I wrote up in a journal post.  Check it out!

Why I Am Planning on Homeschooling!

oredeb
by on May. 24, 2011 at 2:40 PM

hahah sonita! i have a couple myself and some burkinstocks!!

debbie

Quoting SimplySonita:

Our main reason IS for religious reasons! LOL but it isn't our only reason!

hahaha I'm a sterotype! And I DO own a DENIM JUMPER!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHA