Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your main reason for homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What is your MAIN reason for homeschooling?

Options:

Religious reasons (Feel God lead us to it, Feel it's Biblical, to inject religion in every subject, etc)

Better education at home (higer test scores, more in depth study, etc)

Teach child particular values, beliefs, and worldview

To develop character/morality

Object to what school teaches (Evolution, teaching to the test, etc)

Poor learning environment/safety issues at school (class size, bullies, fights, drugs, etc)

Customize or individualize the curriculum and learning environment for each child

Special needs of child were/could not be met in PS

Prefer the freedom homeschooling offers (Vacations, travel for work, Dr. Appt, etc)

My child had problems with PS and I can't afford private school, so homeschool was our only option

Close Relationships (Tightknit family, couldn't send my kids away all day, etc)

Other (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

We all know most people think everyone homeschools for religious reasons, and while many do (statistically it is the 2nd most popular reason to homeschool), that isn't why everyone homeschools (and not everyone who does it for religious reasons is Christian! *GASP* LOL)

So share with us your main reason for homeschooling!

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

by on May. 24, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Replies (41-49):
miatagirl
by on May. 29, 2011 at 3:38 AM

My son (3) is homeschooled (or will be homeschooled) becasue he is the most allergic kid on the planet.   He is allergic to all the major food groups, and not just a little, pretty much off the charts.    He's on a very limited (although healthy) diet, and in order to keep him alive, I have to keep him away from certain foods or other children with food residue.   He's deathly allergic to milk, eggs, nuts, and seafood, and has less severe allergies to wheat, onions, garlic, grass, and asparagus...    He can't even have skin contact with these foods, or he will break out in hives and if it gets around his eyes, they will swell shut.    If consumed, they will close up his throat.   My daughter however has no allergies and attends a private school.   

Mom71307
by on May. 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM

I chose customizing curriculum,etc to each child but there is SO much more to it than that. I also want to be able to teach evolution, etc in our way as we are Christian and want to also have the Biblical aspect in everything we teach.  I have been on the public school teaching side and it is not pretty... I don't want my kids involved in it.

IndianaMom765
by on May. 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

We sent our oldest to Public kindergarten with him thinking he was smart! By the end of the year, he thought he was stupid. This could of been because of the school or because he was an early admit? It could be both. However we homeschooled this year through a virtual school (Connections Academy). It was a succes for our family. We got all A's and he loves school again! :)

momversuswild
by on May. 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Absolutley all of the above.  Could NOT pick just one.

adrianas_mom_05
by on May. 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Quoting katzmeow726:

We don't have one main reason. The top ones are poor local public and private schools, rising violence in schools, and religion.

MedicMommy
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:03 AM

I've been on the fence for years. Tried in pre-school, then got frustrated with the curriculum, so I sent him off. He is entering 1st grade, and we're going to HS again this year.

My concern has always been that he is VERY bright. (Of course I think that) He taught himself to read at 3, and yesterday on the way home from church he was doing multiplication. He's only 5. When he gets bored, he gets into trouble. He got in trouble a lot this year. That's my "main" reason, although I have many many others

lvaughn26
by on May. 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Our number one reason is for religious reasons, but I love all the benefits we get from homeschooling.

conweis
by on May. 30, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I went and register my kid to public school and was basically told my kid needed to be on medication cause he was "overly excited" about going to school. From that day on it seem all I heard was I need to tell his doctor he needed to be medicated. I chose not and wanted them to test him to see exactly what was going on. They kept putting his testing behind cause I wouldnt medicated. He failed K and I was told he couldnt come back to school unless he was medicated. He hated school with a passion. He loves being homeschool and has learned a lot.

Crissy83
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM

We decided to home school because of the environment my kids are being exposed to everyday all day long, along with religious reasons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)