Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not about homeschooling, but important

Posted by on May. 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 5 year old daughter has a fever of 102, but she is not at all warm to the touch.  She was really hot when I first took her temp this morning and it was 100.5. 

She is normally very hot to the touch when she has a fever, which is why this seems so weird. 

Is it weird to have a fever and not feel warm at all to the touch? 

Oh, and the thermometer *is* working ~ it's reading at what our other one is and reading normal for the rest of us.

by on May. 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on May. 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM

is she having the chills? does she have flu?

swim-mom72
by on May. 24, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Usually, before a fever will spike, the skin may feel normal. So, you may be in for a long night.

If she is not bundled up, or is dressed cooly, or if she just got out of the bath, then her skin will be cool to the touch. The one area that may be hot to the touch is her stomach, since it will take the fever longer to reach the arms and legs. I would only start to worry if she starts to act differently, like a sudden headache, vomitting, very lethargic, etc...

Good luck : )

misselphaba
by on May. 25, 2011 at 12:36 AM

Hmm, well, she suddenly started feeling very hot.  It was so strange!  She was burning up, I took her temp, and then she just basically went cold, I guess.  She seemed fine, but still had the fever.  I gave her Motrin before bed (we never medicate for fever, but since she had had it all day, I decided to go ahead with the medicine before bed) and now she's sleeping.  

It was just weird at the time.  LOL

MommaChell
by on May. 25, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I sure hope she's feeling better and done with the fever business. That stuff is scary and worrisome. I've not had a situation like that.

SimplySonita
by on May. 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Having worked in the medical field for years (before hubby and kids) I can tell you you can NOT judge a fever by touching the skin.

Also the 'normal' temp varies by WHERE you take her temp. Rectal is most accurate. (though not fun!) which is why they suggest you take a baby's temp rectally. You have to adjust the reading off all other methods. Like under the arm method you add 0.9 degrees to the temp to get an accurate reading....

Many medical professionals don't rely on ear or forehead temps because they aren't accurate enough (if the ear temp isn't done correctly it can be waaaay off)

Give her a tepid bath to bring her fever down and give her lots of fluids...and lots of hugs!

hugging

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)