Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Winter Promise for Preschool/Pre-K?

Posted by on May. 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM
  • 4 Replies

I have been looking and looking at curriculum and posting on other boards incessantly, lol.... My kids will be just turned 3 and just turned 4 when I start HS-ing in September.... well, not start since I have been doing it all along, of course... but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I was SURE I was going with Sonlight... but the more I delved in, the less I liked it. I like Horizons but since one of my reasons for HS-ing is more a relaxed learning program, that doesn't seem to fit.

I am really impressed with what I read about Winter Promise. I have seen mixed reviews however, although only a couple apply to Preschool/Pre-K...

I know I will work into building my own curriculum in later years but since I am new to this, I really want a strong guide this first year.... I like WP because it is unit studies, CM method, and has a strong literature base without the confines of textbooks.

I would be doing the "I'm Ready to Learn" along with the Pre-K/K phonics program and easing my 4 year old into Horizons Math K a few months in since he can already add and subract up to 10....

by on May. 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
peanut06
by on May. 24, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I'm considering WP for a few of my kids' years because I love the unit study/CM style.  It seems pricey, but there are also more expensive lit-based options, too.  To cut the $, I'm probably going to use one unit with both kids together, even though they're 2 years apart.  I have a few years, so who knows?  I do love the activities in some of the older histories (Adventures in the Sea and Sky) and forensics for high school--how cool would that look on the transcript!

StefInIdaho
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I plan on combing my kids... and I like that about WP... because I want to focus on their individual strenghs and weaknesses... like Liam is strong in math and practical things whereas Molly has my imaganitive side... Liam will probably excel in math and science and Molly will do better in LA and History...

Quoting peanut06:

I'm considering WP for a few of my kids' years because I love the unit study/CM style.  It seems pricey, but there are also more expensive lit-based options, too.  To cut the $, I'm probably going to use one unit with both kids together, even though they're 2 years apart.  I have a few years, so who knows?  I do love the activities in some of the older histories (Adventures in the Sea and Sky) and forensics for high school--how cool would that look on the transcript!

katzmeow726
by on May. 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I am looking in to a beka, I keep hearing good things about it!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I am no help. I can't decide either. I kind of like My Father's World but I don't know tons about it yet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN