Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else out there consider themselves a secular homeschooling family?  What are some of your favorite homeschooling resources?  I find it difficult to find great secular curriculum especially in science and history.  Anyone belong to any secular support groups?  I have one that just started on facebook in WV. 

by on May. 25, 2011 at 8:52 AM
Replies (11-16):
Xakana
by on May. 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Thankfully there are secular groups in my area (KC seems like a great area to homeschool, regardless of how you do it!) so I'm hoping to take advantage of them when I can.

peanut06
by on May. 27, 2011 at 11:25 PM

We're leaning toward mostly secular resources for personal reasons (our particular "flavor" of Christian isn't mainstream, so we'd clash with what I've seen in previews on different websites so far).  Anyway, I like the K-8 ideas on intellegounitstudies.com  They have science and history in "core curriculum", and you can buy the different components to structure your year according to your (or your child's) wishes.  They also have cool units like baseball, globetrotting with Cinderella,  world religions, and whales, just to pick a few I thought were really interesting.  I liked the approach to science covered in elementalscience.com too, taking each of the major disciplines one year at a time in rotation, instead of a hodgepodge of everything covered constantly (biology, earth science & astronomy, chemistry, physics).  I also pick up tons of info from the secular_homeschoolers Yahoo group.

stacys29
by on May. 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM

We are & just print out worksheets & use workbooks. For my oldest DS I've bought actual textbooks. You really have to search for stuff but it's out there.

maggiemom2000
by Member on May. 29, 2011 at 11:56 PM

We are secular homeschoolers! I have found a lot of help and resources at http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/

mamaof2n1angel
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM

there is a CM group for us  secular homeschholers.. i am member of  it and  yes i to am secular...... i  learned from the "old school days" before  religion was mentioned in  school days... 

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:11 AM

I haven't read the other replies, yet, but we are secular.  I like 'Story of the World' and 'History Odyssey' for history.  Obviously, they have religion in them, but that's just the way history is going to be.  They teach about how the religions came about, but they are written like stories.  We teach them as stories, too. 

I really like 'Elemental Science' and 'R.E.A.L. Science'.  They are both science and not religion based. 

We don't sit down and do them, but we have them handy. 

Good luck!!  It's super hard to fing things!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)