Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need help and ideas for my son PIOG

Posted by on May. 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi everyone, I JUST joined this group :) ok, my son is about to end first grade, he likes it, or he likes the kids.  He does little to no work in school.  He does his homework cause i give him no choice.  Since he started kindergarten he hasn't done much work in school cause they don't make him, he daydreams alot or just dosn't pay attention to the teacher but he isn't disruptive in any way.  So....I was thinking of doing some home schooling durring the summer to get him up to grade.  He has no work done in science and evidently the teacher can't send science stuff home for him to work on.  Is there any home schooling sites i can go to while he is still attending public school?  Does any of this make sence?  Hope i didn't ramble too much!  Thanks!

by on May. 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
hailnbray
by on May. 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM

most public schools that i know of do not teach science till 4th grade. there are tons of sites and books u can google however i would work on the stuff they are actually teaching him so hes not behind next year.

chattinmom
by on May. 25, 2011 at 6:02 PM

They are teaching them science.  The are already doing fractions!!  In first grade!  It is crazy.

MommaChell
by on May. 25, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I don't have experience with 1st grade, but I know there was an older post by KickButtMama that listed her favorite science sites; her children are between 3 & 6yrs and it might help you. Good for you on your decision to try out some summer homeschooling! I hope all the best for you getting him caught up.

SimplySonita
by on May. 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I agree with PP-most schools don't REALLY focus on science and social studies in the primary grades.

PS has to theacht he masses, they have 20-30 kids and 1 teacher. It's hard for one adult to teach that many kids if they can't read or write-so there is a HUGE focus on the 3Rs in the primary grades, and not much at all in the way of science and SS.

Find your states DOE (Dept of Eduation) website. There should be an outline (usually a PDF doc) that you can view that will tell you the state standards for each subjet in each grade.

It'll look something like this (this is the one for my state-GA)

As you can see, the science is VERY simple stuff-this is stuff my son knew when he was 3! Weather, characteristics of living thing, basic needs of living things, etc.

SS consists of a few key historical figures (though not a deep understanding of them) and a tad of geography (cont and oceans)

Science and social studies (every subject really) in PS are taught on a spiral so they will go back over most things in later grades.

I have awebsite where I list free resources here, that you can use for your son over the summer.

HTH

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)