Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Schedules

Posted by on May. 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM
  • 20 Replies

Do you have a set homeschool schedule or are you the "see where the day takes us" kind of homeschooler?

If you do have a schedule, please share. 

by on May. 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on May. 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

We have a rhythm to our days but no set schedule.

First thing in the morning we all get 'free time' to do what we want, I find this makes the kids more willing to cooperate the rest of the day.

We usually stt out with some chores, then move on to schoolwork.

Hubby gets home around 5:30 so around 4 we do a clean up so he comes home to a clean house, then I start dinner and the kids have 'free time' which they usually spend helping me cook or watching TV or playing.

Fridays are our errand day so after chores we usually run errands all day and if we have time we stop by a playground.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

KDBeckham
by on May. 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I will be curious to see this because I will be a new homeschooler this coming year and want to see how everyone else runs their days.

StefInIdaho
by on May. 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM

We aren't starting an actual curriculum until the fall, but we do learn every day...

Mornings (after breakfast and getting dressed) are for coloring, abc mouse, games, learning dvd's, phonics, reading stories...

After lunch we play outside... go for a walk, play with playdough, hunt for bugs, and do activities based on what we are learning... if it is yucky weather, we do inside activites like baking, crafts, etc...

After dinner, we have some free time and then we read bible stories before bed...

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM

We are "see where the day takes us" homeschoolers.  We don't have a set plan or set curriculum. 

Yesterday, we made pom-pom catapults, which led to talks and reading about medeival weapons, which led to talks and reading about what they wore in the medeival times...

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM
I'm definitely a type A schedule person.

Kids are allowed free time when they wake up. They get dressed and have breakfast on their own.

I try to walk with my girlfriends 2-3x a week. The kids are invited but not required.

School starts at 10am with a bible devotion to get us focused. They work at their pace on whatever, taking breaks as needed. Lunch is around noon. Usually we are done with school about 2pm. (Varies by kid)

They then have free time until our activities kick in....

Monday - girl scouts 7pm
Tues- Karate DS1 at 5pm, my class at 6
Wed- Karate DS2 and DD @ 5, I work out too
Thu- Karate DS1 @ 5, Boy scouts @ 6 for me, DS1 and DS2 join us at 7
Fri- karate @ 4pm for DS2 and DD. Again I usually work out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on May. 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM

We don't have a set schedule, we're pre-k so we go with the flow of each day, but I do have a teaching guide for each week to help us stay on task. It really lightens my mental load and adds a bit of structure. I organize all my materials a head of time so I can pull stuff out as needed. I'm sure our schedule and structure will grow and change with us. I love the idea of work boxes!

nikki0522
by Member on May. 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM

No set schedule for us. We start when we start, finish when we finish and have no particular order that things are done in. If DS wants to do math first today and tomorrow wants to start with science, that's what we do.

AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM

No real schedule for us.  We did in the beginning but life is so chaotic these days we just roll with it!!!

blessdmommy
by on May. 27, 2011 at 8:56 AM

We have done it both ways (have been schooling for 13 years), and find that (for us) somewhat of a schedule works best - but i have several children w/ autism, so that is necessary for them :) I have found over the years that different things work best for different families and children (some of mine are more scheduled than others - I school 6 - well, 5 next year, as one is graduating :)). And some days we need to be more flexible - that's the beauty of home schooling - they learn that sometimes plans need to change. Blessings to you!!

Mom71307
by on May. 27, 2011 at 8:59 AM

At the moment I am unschooling...! Really we just moved about 2 months ago and being pregnant plus taking care of a toddler and preschooler has rendered me useless so we are learning through play...!  Once August hits, I hope to have a more serious schedule but my kids will just be 4 and almost 2 so we are more loose than rigid.  I do plan to do school right after breakfast then play, etc the rest of the day but we'll see.  That will also change once the new baby comes in Nov I am sure!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)