Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is homeschooling possible for a social butterfly?

Posted by on May. 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have 3 girls - 6,4 and 8 months.  We are seriously considering homeschooling next year.  My 6 year old seems to be bored with school and i know that it will be worse with the 4 year old.  She is already reading at almost the same level as the 6 year old and they are both bright.  So, I'm wanting to challenge them at home.  However, my one concern is socialization.  I was homeschooled for 8 years and I have a much easier time with women who are older than me, rather than my own age.  My 6 year old is a social butterfly.  She loves playing with her friends.  So, how do I make sure that she is still getting the socialization that she needs.

We are going to be doing quite a bit with some other friends of ours.  There will be 4 boys - 8,6,5 and a 3 doing Pre-K.  We are wanting to do swimming lessons and gymnastics, etc.  How do you make it work?

by on May. 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM
By doing swimming lessons and gymnastics, co-ops with other families, parks. There are endless ways to get socializing done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM
We do lots of scheduled activities. The key to my social butterfly's happiness is scheduling playdates with her friends from these activities. They really don't get to socialize during classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
padavali
by on May. 26, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I agree, this is my plan for my little butterfly :)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We do lots of scheduled activities. The key to my social butterfly's happiness is scheduling playdates with her friends from these activities. They really don't get to socialize during classes.

AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 27, 2011 at 8:31 AM

I think you will do just fine.   Swimming and gymnastics is a good way for your social butterfly to be social!!!  You can join homeschol groups too!  But really just getting out into the world, going to the park, everyday things... she will socialize more than she ever did in school!  My kids really came out of their shells after I pulled them out of school.  They have no  problem holding conversations with people of all ages. :)  Best Wishes!!! :)

MommaChell
by on May. 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I believe it will obviously be a process of adjustment and figuring out, but it would make the socialization time/activities so much more precious and rewarding for your children. If they're missing their friends from school, then have a party or sleep over, how fun! Try not to get discouraged by any negativity from your kiddos, or experiences, and keep trying things till you all find your structure. Bests!

SimplySonita
by on May. 28, 2011 at 10:35 AM

I find most homeschoolers I know have a problem with too MUCH socialization rather than lack of it.

Public schools are not for socialization, despite what critics of homeschool say! My son was in PS for K and got in trouble almost daily for socializing! (Talking) He was allowed to talk at lunch, during what little group work they did anad his daily 20 minute recess.PS is about standing in line, waiting your turn, sitting still and listening, not socialization!

By homeschooling your child can avoid all the wasted time of standing in lines and waiting their turn, schoolwork therefore takes a fraction of the time that it would in PS leaving more time for socialization! big smile mini

Socialization really isn't an issue for most homeschool families. The most common obsticals are lack of money to sign up for things, lack of transportation to get to things (being mostly one income families) and parents having to overcome their own social anxiety.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)