Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is homeschooling possible for a social butterfly?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 girls - 6,4 and 8 months.  We are seriously considering homeschooling next year.  My 6 year old seems to be bored with school and i know that it will be worse with the 4 year old.  She is already reading at almost the same level as the 6 year old and they are both bright.  So, I'm wanting to challenge them at home.  However, my one concern is socialization.  I was homeschooled for 8 years and I have a much easier time with women who are older than me, rather than my own age.  My 6 year old is a social butterfly.  She loves playing with her friends.  So, how do I make sure that she is still getting the socialization that she needs.

We are going to be doing quite a bit with some other friends of ours.  There will be 4 boys - 8,6,5 and a 3 doing Pre-K.  We are wanting to do swimming lessons and gymnastics, etc.  How do you make it work?

by on May. 26, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Replies (11-12):
JakeandEmmasMom
by on May. 31, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I wanted to add...the truth is, there is very little time for socializing in school.  I know at my daughter's school they weren't allowed to talk to eachother in class, weren't allowed to talk in the hallways in the school, the weren't allowed to talk in the LUNCHROOM AT LUNCH !  The only place they were allowed to talk to eachother was at the 20 minute recess.  So, my kids DEFINITELY have more time to socialize being homeschooled than they did in public school.  I read an article about a year ago (I'll try to find it again) about an elementary school that had to hire this guy who was like a socialization coach to teach the kids how to play with eachother on the playground.  If they get so much better socialization at school, why would that even be necessary?

tcollins11
by on May. 31, 2011 at 10:23 PM

it is take her to the park other activities she will thrive my daughter is 7 and we do other stuff to get her social activitis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)