Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How Do You Deal? (discussion)

Posted by on May. 26, 2011 at 7:13 PM
  • 24 Replies

Homeschooling seems to be a REALLY hot topic right now. In another group one mama said she was sending her child to PS because they would not learn from her, it would be a daily fight, etc. Basically that SHE was not the best possible educator for her kid.
Alright, I get that.. I know Gauge has a lot of days where he is simply anti-Mom, where anything I say or suggest, or want to do receives a response of "No. Cars." and he spends a good portion of his day doing his own thing and keeping to himself. Part of the reason we will be homeschooling is because I don't want anyone else's ideas forced on him. He's not interested in our project for the day, switch it up. Not interested in doing anything? There are 364 more days to try again. Now obviously when he's older, school-age, there will be things that he MUST accomplish. By that time I hope to have a better handle on  what his learning style is and how to best keep him interested This is where my question/discussion comes in.

What would be YOUR approach if your relationship with your child was not one where you could sit down work affectively with them, but you knew that a public school education was not the best that they could get? What if private school were not an option for your family?

Kel: Vegan.. AP.. Baby Wearing.. ERF & EBFing.. Natural Minded.. Cloth Diapering.. Simple Living.. Homeschooling.. Music Making.. Book Reading.. School Going.. Volunteering.. Crunchy.. Activist.. Mommy to Gauge & Vash.. Army Wife to Joshua. <3

by on May. 26, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by on May. 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM

we live in a great school district. if for some reason i could not teach her i would have no issues with her going to public school. those issues would have to be a health issue or i need to work or something. if it comes down to she just doesnt want to learn then i would be a parent. u do ur work or u dont play, we are relaxed with schooling. if she doesnt want todo school work today we skip it. we do 4 day work weeks and work year round taking lots of breaks. shes in 2nd grade so there are things that need to be done but theres never a strict deadline. sometimes she learns things quickly sometimes it takes awhile. we make it. now if she was older and just not doing her work like highschool age then she would prob just fail life. if shes not gonna work for me what makes u think she would work for a teacher

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I thought the way that Mom did OP. I tried doing PreK workbooks with DS2 before Kinder thinking he needed to "be ready" I wanted him to have the basics down of at least writing and recognising the letters in his name. I got workbooks and writing paper and crayons and paint and thought we would "homeschool" for Prek. What a joke. We fought, he cried, I cried, it was HORRIBLE. I thought, "He just can't work with Mom. He will be fine once I send him to public school and a teacher gets ahold of him."

OMG!! I was sooo wrong! What happened with me, also happened with her!   He is a hands on, up and moving kind of guy and I'm a sit down and read the book box checker. I have to make a conscious effort to remind myself to find ways to teach him that have him up and moving. DS2 also has VERY sensitive ears. Everything is amplified to him so when a class of 33 kids would sing, he would run and hide in a closet (definitely not a good thing in PS) or he would curl up in a ball and hide his head in his hands.  We made it to the end of first grade before I realised that he was a square peg being shoved in a round hole.

Even now has days where he just isn't there at all. If he is sick or over tired or "off", it's just not worth the fight. Those days we find something to watch on the history channel and he writes a paragraph on what we watched.  He HATES writing and is not huge on reading so skipping the reading and writing 1 paragraph is a good compromise for him instead of reading and answering 3 questions. Some days we do the review questions verbally. We just have to change things up a lot.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 27, 2011 at 8:18 AM

If I had to I would send my kids to school.  For me though, 2 of mine were in school and hated it.  They give me flack a lot but I just explain to them that they could be back in school if they want? ALLL DAY!!!  Not somehting they want to do so they will usually buckle down and get things done.  Some days you just have to take a break though.   I have friends that say the same though... no way they could teach their kids and with some of them I agree.  Its not for everyone.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2011 at 9:22 AM

If any of my children had that kind of attitude towards me I would just take some time off regular work and work on our relationship.  Sending my children off to school would never have been/or will be an option.   13 of our 15 have already graduated from homeschool. Only 2 more to go :)

oredeb
by on May. 27, 2011 at 11:48 AM

my first step would be to pray about it with my dh

next realise that this child needs to learn from me, im the parent and he does need to obey me, and this is the time to start taking those steps and teaching him that.

then take a look at the child and figure out why hes not willing to learn from me

answer the question is there a learning problelm? or am i the problem!

then i'd try various ways to work with him, hands on, i would teach him by playing with him, have him sit for short periods of time while i would read a paragraph or so. then we'd take a break! haha as time went by i'd make the sitting time longer.

have dad working with him a bit on something, see if theres a differnce in how he treats dad or mom

i'd use very large newsprint to use a paint brush or scribble on and do some finger painting, evenually show him without him knowing im showing him how to do the letters to his name

pack lunch and take short hikes with him pointing out various animals, bugs, leaves, puddles, grass, etc

go outside and count bugs together, put them in jars, etc

we'd learn some songs just by singing them, dancing to music, jumping around etc

id have certain chores for him to do, every day, being consistant is important.  and the first thing would be making his bed, the best way he could even if its not perfect ! and picking up his toys and putting them away

well theres a few things ive tried

KelleyBamboo
by on May. 27, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Lol @ fail at life.

Quoting hailnbray:

we live in a great school district. if for some reason i could not teach her i would have no issues with her going to public school. those issues would have to be a health issue or i need to work or something. if it comes down to she just doesnt want to learn then i would be a parent. u do ur work or u dont play, we are relaxed with schooling. if she doesnt want todo school work today we skip it. we do 4 day work weeks and work year round taking lots of breaks. shes in 2nd grade so there are things that need to be done but theres never a strict deadline. sometimes she learns things quickly sometimes it takes awhile. we make it. now if she was older and just not doing her work like highschool age then she would prob just fail life. if shes not gonna work for me what makes u think she would work for a teacher

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelleyBamboo
by on May. 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM
Fifteen!? WOW! I would love to have a family that big one day!

Quoting bren_darlene:

If any of my children had that kind of attitude towards me I would just take some time off regular work and work on our relationship.  Sending my children off to school would never have been/or will be an option.   13 of our 15 have already graduated from homeschool. Only 2 more to go :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Honestly, I would realize that he doesn't learn the way I think he should and take a break and see where he goes.  It's worked well for my 7 year old.  He does more school related stuff now that i'm not "on his back" so to speak, than he ever did when i was making plans, etc. 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Quoting bren_darlene:

15 kids?? really?? all from you??

you are awesome!! 

you rock                    bowing down  

blessdmommy
by on May. 28, 2011 at 9:39 AM

I have been schooling for 13+ years and have had many days where they don't want to do what is planned. If it is nothing major, I am flexible and give them a choice; but if (especially the older ones), it is something they really need to do, then that's where it becomes a matter of obedience...something they need to learn as well as the "book stuff."  Unless they are going to be totally self-employed, they will at some point have to follow the direction of someone else (actually, unless they are going to live in total isolation, they will at some point have to follow the direction of someone else). When they go to college, they will have to do the assignments they are given (granted, many professors now allow some "negotiating", but for the most part, they won't be totally self-directed)...so these are lessons they will eventuallly have to learn. I try to give choices when able, so that when there is no choice, it's not as hard. I have several children w/ autism, so it definitely isn't easy...but it IS do-able - just have to remember who is in charge, and gently remind them of that as well ;) And then there are the days when all I can do is just pray and hope the next one goes a little better...you can do it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)