Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Virtual Schools!

Posted by on May. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello all,

My name is Becky and my family home schools. We have two boys, one is 4 and the other is 7. The oldest we sent to public school in Kindergarten and did not enjoy the experience. During the summer between I saw an ad on Facebook for a free home school program. I have to say I was hesitant. However after I learned more I found out that it was an option. Similar to a charter school idea. We enrolled our son and we have just completed first grade with all A's! We really enjoy the program and the support we got from the teachers and principal was great. We would suggest anyone looking check them out. The name of the school is Connections Academy. 

Here is their website http://www.ConnectionsAcademy.com . They have school both private and public across the United States.  I hope this information is helpful.

by on May. 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AbundanceMagnet
by on May. 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

We tried Connections Academy but because of budget cuts we weren't accepted when we pulled boys out and then when they were accepting new students we were told because they hadn't be in school the year before at that point no go.    OH WELL!

tcollins11
by on May. 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

that sound similiar to what my daughter is in wava washington virtual academy its great she is also 7 and doing well

SimplySonita
by on May. 31, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Glad it's working for you. Virtual school didn't fit with our reasons for homeschooling, but it works great for some.

I say if you find what works for you and yours stick with it until it doesn't work any more.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

PandoraRobin
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 7:12 PM

We have used Connections for Kindergarten, First grade and will be returning next year for 2nd grade. When the younger two get older it will be a consideration for them also. We've had a great experience with them. I think their curriculum is a great one and well paced. We had the same teacher for Kingergarten and First grade which was nice because she really got to know my son. It is nice to have someone to talk to about how your kid is doing when you feel that much isn't getting accomplished. She looked at his work and pointed out improvements that I did see. Since I don't have any one locally that homeschool or even understands why I don't want my kid bused 45 minutes away to spend 8 hours crammed in a class with 30 other kids whose only connect is that they are the same age it was nice to chat with with the teacher.

All that being said. It isn't for everyone. There are a few things I would have liked to do that didn't really fit into our schedule without my son and I feeling over worked. One of those things is unit studies. I am planning a few of these for the summer under the guise of reading and fun activites.

momversuswild
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I couldn't agree more!

Quoting SimplySonita:

I say if you find what works for you and yours stick with it until it doesn't work any more.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)