Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Saxon Algebra 1/2 or 1?

Posted by on May. 31, 2011 at 7:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm deciding math for next year and can't decide between these. Anyone homeschooling a highschooler or 8th grader that has used one of these?

Should we skip the half? Is it all review? Go to 1? Or is the half really beneficial before you go Alg. i?

Help! Thanks!

by on May. 31, 2011 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Do not skip the half. I took these when I was homeschooled. The 1/2 lays the foundation for algebra. When I was taking 1/2 my mom was very sick and I had to pretty much try to teach myself, which was like not taking it at all cuz I didn't know what I was doing. When it came time for algebra I struggled even more despite tutoring. So I would definiatly do it before algebra.

BusCaptainMama
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM
Algebra 1/2 is pre-algebra...I remember taking pre-algebra before taking Algebra 1 ~ I assumed it's a must so I had my daughter do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvthesoap
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:25 AM

On saxon's website there is a placement test. Have your son do that. If if took Saxon 8/7 , he might not need 1/2.

Betty in Ky

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Yeah...we're finishing up 8/7 now... you know...that's exactly what I need to do is the placement test. I don't want to skip something he needs, and I don't want to bore him with something he doesn't! Great idea. I'm gonna do that!

Thanks!

oredeb
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

i would recommend doing the half first, then the 1.

i did it with all my kids, and they had a pretty good understanding of 1 when they finished the book, even the kids that didnt care for math

it even helped me learn so i could help them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)