Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was anyone else intimidated?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

While I am excited that DH and I have agreed that we are going to home school the twins (Ayden and Kathryne), I am feeling a little intimidated by it.  Truth is, this is a little sad, but I am worryig about a very distant future!  Keep in mind, they are only two.  However we feel that home school is not school at home...it is more like a lifestyle of constant learning!  So we already do some things with A and K.  I know it will be a few years before we really have to worry about the Alabama requirements, but already I am nervous.
   On top of that I find my mind drifting to middle and high school, and how we will set up college prep.  I know I am worrying over nothing.  From what I hear, as long as you (or your cover church) keeps a good transcript, colleges will be very welcoming.  I hear some even PREFER home educated students.  And I know ABEKA provides degrees, along with a few other programs.  So all the necessary things will be covered.  But it just seems like it's a mess to get organized when the time comes.

And yet, my kids are only 2....why am I already worrying?  Okay, I know the answer to that.  *grumbles* stupid anxiety....

I know that once we really start the home education I will calm down, and we'll find our flow.  But I'm just intimidated by the future.  Excited yes, but intimidated all the same.  Thoughts of "will I be a good teacher?"  "How will I teach them things I struggled with?"  "what if I have to start working?" constantly cross my mind, even though I know there are solutions to all those problems.

So tell me ladies, was anyone else intimidated?

by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2011 at 5:16 AM

Intimidated? Yes just a bit, lol. I was homeschooled, so its not something that's new to me, but I will be starting my 5yr old in kindergarten this coming fall, along with (by then) a 5 month old. That for me is a bit intimidating. Add the fact that I have my mother and an aunt (also homeschooled) that will be 'watching' and then of course worrying that I'm teaching her the right stuff.  Yes, I definiatly feel a bit intimidated, but still excited to be getting started at the same time.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 5:39 AM

Whenever I start to get intimidated, it's usually because there are so many different ways to teach....and then I remind myself that's why I'm homeschooling, because I can do it like Burger King.

We sat down to review curriculum last night. Wyatt, my 5 year old, is in 3rd grade for math, and 5th for Language Arts/Reading. He and I did that,not some school. I know there will be rough days/years, but that's why we are foining homeschool groups. For MY socialization!

coffeeI'm a mom who can't sum up what's right for her family in one paragraph

Yeah, yeah, I blog, too: http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM

What is a cover church?

Anyhow....YES, I was in the beginning. It was one of those "OMG, if I fail, I am failing my CHILD!!!!" but once we started, it immediately calmed my fears.

I have moments of "EEK" and then I realize that I stress for no reason and all is good...I think those anxious moments are simply us keeping ourselves in check and doing our best!

Annehart
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM

There are some parts of the Bible that I think were especially written for us homeschool moms! Like "take no thought for tomorrow, for each day has trouble enough of its own." That's for sure! Focus on what your twins need today.  You have no way to know what needs will arise tomorrow, or where God may lead you, but you have His promise that He WILL lead you and guide you in the way you should go. Be faithful today, that's all you need to be.

katzmeow726
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM
One of my fave verses. Thanks mama, for reminding me of it!

Quoting Annehart:

There are some parts of the Bible that I think were especially written for us homeschool moms! Like "take no thought for tomorrow, for each day has trouble enough of its own." That's for sure! Focus on what your twins need today.  You have no way to know what needs will arise tomorrow, or where God may lead you, but you have His promise that He WILL lead you and guide you in the way you should go. Be faithful today, that's all you need to be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Haha, I like the Burger King thing.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I was so intimidated & overwhelmed when I first started looking into homeschooling that I actually stopped. I put it off until I could get myself back to a point of encouraged confidence (much prayer!). I was very ill in my pregnancy and trying to keep up with my 2 toddlers at the time; not a good time to be looking into such things. After I had my son and regained a majority of my health I was able to tackle it once more. I'm so so so glad that I didn't give up, just set it aside for a while. I pray all the best for you in your journey! Bests~

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Are you a SAHM now? Have they learned to walk? Learned not to touch the stove? Learning to talk?

Then you're already homeschooling aren't you!

Don't get scared just because they reach compulsory age!

When hubby finally gave me the ok to homeschool (after 2 years of PS) I would go back and forth between "This is going to be awesome!" and "OMGOSH! What was I thinking, I cant do this!" A vet homeschooler gave me some advice that calmed my nerves from then on....

She said...

What does a 6 year old need to know that you can't teach them?

Don't worry abotu high school yet, that is so far in the future. You're worrying over nothing. High school may seem daunting now, but once you've actually tackled elem and middle, I'm quite sure it won't seem so scary!

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)