Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was anyone else intimidated?

Posted by   + Show Post

While I am excited that DH and I have agreed that we are going to home school the twins (Ayden and Kathryne), I am feeling a little intimidated by it.  Truth is, this is a little sad, but I am worryig about a very distant future!  Keep in mind, they are only two.  However we feel that home school is not school at home...it is more like a lifestyle of constant learning!  So we already do some things with A and K.  I know it will be a few years before we really have to worry about the Alabama requirements, but already I am nervous.
   On top of that I find my mind drifting to middle and high school, and how we will set up college prep.  I know I am worrying over nothing.  From what I hear, as long as you (or your cover church) keeps a good transcript, colleges will be very welcoming.  I hear some even PREFER home educated students.  And I know ABEKA provides degrees, along with a few other programs.  So all the necessary things will be covered.  But it just seems like it's a mess to get organized when the time comes.

And yet, my kids are only 2....why am I already worrying?  Okay, I know the answer to that.  *grumbles* stupid anxiety....

I know that once we really start the home education I will calm down, and we'll find our flow.  But I'm just intimidated by the future.  Excited yes, but intimidated all the same.  Thoughts of "will I be a good teacher?"  "How will I teach them things I struggled with?"  "what if I have to start working?" constantly cross my mind, even though I know there are solutions to all those problems.

So tell me ladies, was anyone else intimidated?

by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 3:11 AM
Replies (11-15):
Gumberly
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
I have a 6 year old and twin 3 year olds. I started homeschooling my now 6 year old last spring. Most days I feel confadent but when I think about the future and teaching all 3 at once I get intimidated.
I try to remind myself it's like it was when I was pregnant with twins and I would get myself worked up over the "how will I ever be able to (insert a list of things here)." Then I had them and I did all those things and it wasn't nearly as difficult as I had imagined it would be.
One day at a time, one step at a time.
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I only get intimidated when I read a lot of homeschooling blogs.  We do not do "school at home".  We are homeschooling unschoolers.  I start to panic when I read a bunch of blogs of people who do "school at home". 

MommaChell
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM

good

Quoting blessdmommy:

At first, yes, it was daunting...then I got it figured out - till we got to high school...then felt like I had just started. But with lots of prayer and flexibility, got through that as well and am graduating my first this year (and sending off to college w/ a scholarship!!). God is good and will bless all of your efforts :) When I felt myself not knowing what to do, He always lead me to the right answer..as long as I follow what He wants for my children, it all works very well :)

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2011 at 2:11 AM

yes. dd is just now 4 so i am still pretty new to the whole hs thing. i helped my mil  with hs'ing my sil but its still scary because it is my child & it is prek-12 not just 9-12. i have not done the beginning reading & math & all that until now.

Melissa6705
by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM
Yes!! I still get worried but I have to remember that she is better off with me and is learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)