Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you already planning for next year?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM
  • 38 Replies

I am. I think we're going to add a bit more structure. By no means will we be school-at-home, but I want to plan ahead a bit more things I think my children will be into.

What are you planning?

2nd grade-

Reading & Language arts - We'll continue using All About Spelling and ABeka handbook for reading and the ABeka readers. He likes them and does well with them so we'll just continue them. Thinking about making him write on his blog I set up for him every so often.

Math-We'll continue using our hands on manipulatives and our dry erase board. He's doing great with this so we'll just keep moving forward!

Science-I never can plan enough science for my oldest son!I have no idea what all we'll use this year...

SS-I plan on doing local history-the history of our city and nearby towns we can visit.

Those are just our state required subjects for my compulsory age child, who knows what else we'll do!

What are you planning?

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FlyHippie
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Yeah...I don't have it all down exactly yet, but I know this much:

still doing drums

will do IPC at The Prometheus Academy for Science (integrated physics and chemistry)

Freshman English through Texas Tech. But with this, we'll keep doing teen book club, which is a literature based thing our homeschool group does...

Pre-algebra or Algebra...I do Saxon with a little boost from "Life of Fred".

We are still doing an american history/government mix...after we get through that, we'll see if he wants world history or texas history...

He's doing an art class through Texas Tech this summer, so if he likes it, he'll do freshman art, too.

Oh...and he'll have Spanish 2 this year.....

This year he will also do an 8th grade trip with the public school to Washington DC....and the following year will be a Spanish immersion trip to Costa Rica with the 3 other kids in his Spanish class.

I know I'm leaving stuff out...but this is what is planned so far!

bheath01
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Just got our Abeka 1st grade curriculum, and I am so overwhelemd with it all. I keep looking at it all but have no clue where to start. I also have 2 young kids plus i babysit so I am in for it this last summer/fall. I know my 1st graders will be doing, phonics, language, math, science and history.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Always it seems :)

nikki0522
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM

DS#1 Grade 5

Math Mammoth Light Blue Series 4A & 4B

Head of the Class Language Arts 5

SciLinks Science Handbook (spine book, supplementing with projects and worksheets)

Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History (same as above)

The Lamb's Book of Art

Family Time Fitness

Various books, supplemental programs, lapbooks, unit studies, etc

DS#2 (pre-k)

Before Five in a Row

Hooked on Phonics

various lapbooks and supplemental materials.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM

I'm *trying*. But I'm kind of waiting until after the convention in 2 weeks. I do know I want it to be pretty laid back with just a little bit of structure.

coffeeI'm a mom who can't sum up what's right for her family in one paragraph

Yeah, yeah, I blog, too: http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I just ordered phonics, writing, and math from abeka. I found bible lessons online for free, and I will be adding a book on manners. This is what I'm starting off with so far for my 5 yr old. I'm waiting for them to come in to start making lesson plans.

Melissa6705
by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM
I am always planning it seems like lol....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Well we still have a year before we get in to pre-school material, but yep!  I do some small things with them now.  "music" in the morning with dancing, or bringing out some rhythm instruments and we make music!  Then it's a morning snack, followed by 15 minutes of something like counting, or  a letter, shapes, colors...they've picked up a lot, which surprised me for 2 year olds! Or we go to the exploreum (look up Gulf coast exploreum, it's WONDERFUL) and spend an hour or two in the area for 1-5 year olds.
   THen nap time, then up for lunch and we do some time of art/craft then errands (occasionally we reverse that LOL).  I try to make learning a constant, but FUN, part of the day.

Liansmommie
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I haven't got to next year yet, we need to get through the summer still and his problems with reading and writing below grade level will require a bit of work.

blessdmommy
by on Jun. 2, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Always planning...this year I will have one less - she's off to college. Doing a mix of stuff for my 10th, 7th, 5th, 2nd and preschooler, based on their needs. They all do Math-U-See and IEW, though...like to do Evan Moor (hands on stuff) for science and history, for the younger ones; apologia science for older ones; Didache and Faith and Life for religion. It's great that there are so many options!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN