Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you already planning for next year?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am. I think we're going to add a bit more structure. By no means will we be school-at-home, but I want to plan ahead a bit more things I think my children will be into.

What are you planning?

2nd grade-

Reading & Language arts - We'll continue using All About Spelling and ABeka handbook for reading and the ABeka readers. He likes them and does well with them so we'll just continue them. Thinking about making him write on his blog I set up for him every so often.

Math-We'll continue using our hands on manipulatives and our dry erase board. He's doing great with this so we'll just keep moving forward!

Science-I never can plan enough science for my oldest son!I have no idea what all we'll use this year...

SS-I plan on doing local history-the history of our city and nearby towns we can visit.

Those are just our state required subjects for my compulsory age child, who knows what else we'll do!

What are you planning?

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

by on Jun. 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Replies (31-38):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Mine is planned and received! Yay! Just a few things I need to do, like make my own all about spelling tiles, read through hours in the out of doors, and plan a few things we will be doing for summer.

I am still debating on if I will use homeskedtrack.com or a paper planner. I'll probably do both! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Individual Education Plan, its for children in special ed. My son has been in self contained classrooms for K-1, then homebound for 2nd, then 3rd on will be homeschool. I, like others, am just disappointed in the special education system.

5 a day, its reading a children's book for 5 days and doing related activities that are cross curriculum. So we may read 'little cloud' and do science lessons on clouds, spelling on cloud weather words, art with drawing clouds, math on charting types of clouds, ect. My DD is only 1st grade, my oldest is learning at a 2-3 year old level, and a toddler so everything will be hands on with extra learning for DD.

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting wright1212:

This year will be my first and I have been planning for over a year!! The funniest part is I dont plan on using a curriculum. I am using lessonpathways, 5aday, and just good ole emergent curriculum for my 1st grader. Our son will be his usual IEP goals that I have created. I have researched COOPs, Umbrella schools, curriculums, extracurricular, therapies, playgroups, scheduling. And my new favorite is looking up youtube vidoes of others homeschool classrooms-very very interesting.

Would someone mind enlightening me; what is 5aday and what are IEP goals? Thanks :)

Btw, youtube searching other homeschool classrooms is fun!

mamaof2n1angel
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I am also  planning ahead. I also use the All About Spelling   and I  love it amd so do the kids.. I am gonig to take my  time with them a bit  more this year as laast  year was to  crazy.

mamaof2n1angel
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I found a program called Homeschool tracker and i love it!

Quoting Boobah:

Mine is planned and received! Yay! Just a few things I need to do, like make my own all about spelling tiles, read through hours in the out of doors, and plan a few things we will be doing for summer.

I am still debating on if I will use homeskedtrack.com or a paper planner. I'll probably do both! Lol

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM
I was going to try that but heard it doesnt work on a Mac unless you run windows on it, and I don't. Boo! Btw I totally fudged that link up. I think it is www.homeschoolskedtrack.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorretta4
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM

oh yeah. want to be ready. do not want to be running around at the last minute.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Quoting wright1212:

Individual Education Plan, its for children in special ed. My son has been in self contained classrooms for K-1, then homebound for 2nd, then 3rd on will be homeschool. I, like others, am just disappointed in the special education system.

5 a day, its reading a children's book for 5 days and doing related activities that are cross curriculum. So we may read 'little cloud' and do science lessons on clouds, spelling on cloud weather words, art with drawing clouds, math on charting types of clouds, ect. My DD is only 1st grade, my oldest is learning at a 2-3 year old level, and a toddler so everything will be hands on with extra learning for DD.

Quoting MommaChell:

Quoting wright1212:

This year will be my first and I have been planning for over a year!! The funniest part is I dont plan on using a curriculum. I am using lessonpathways, 5aday, and just good ole emergent curriculum for my 1st grader. Our son will be his usual IEP goals that I have created. I have researched COOPs, Umbrella schools, curriculums, extracurricular, therapies, playgroups, scheduling. And my new favorite is looking up youtube vidoes of others homeschool classrooms-very very interesting.

Would someone mind enlightening me; what is 5aday and what are IEP goals? Thanks :)

Btw, youtube searching other homeschool classrooms is fun!

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me :) I wish you all the best in the coming school year!

wowguildmomma
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 12:46 AM

With my 1st grader we will be doing LifeSkills which is small unit studies on things like cleaning thier rooms, manners, what to do when we go places, it is kinda strange to "teach" step by step things that just come as normal or that most kids learn thru observation but for DS1 and 2 and DD it is something that is a have to do. 

He will also be doing Science 1, MEP for mathmatics with some Saxon, Musical Theory since he wants to take piano lessons, Language Arts with special attention to reading comprehension, and Evan moore pockets for history.

DD who is k will be using ABC mouse, will be doing some science with her brother, Phonics thru starfall.com and likely cause she loves hand on will be doing history pockets also. 

they both will be taking martial arts in the afternoons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN