Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How early did you start?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM
  • 8 Replies
My youngest DD just turned 2 April 30th. I want to include her in my "Plans" this fall while hsing her sister (first grade)
I know learning happens all the time and we do things like counting everything, singing the alphabet, lots of coloring and drawing opportunities, pointing out colors and letters, shapes etc

She still calls everything pink, counts "two, one" lol. Any tips on colors and shapes?
I also need help with character training with her. She is... A bit challenging. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM

yea the younger kids are learning right along with the older kids! its always amazing to me what they pick up! my 3rd dd learned to read just by being in the same room! its was a shock when she started reading a book!!hahahah

when your dds ready she will be counting like you want her to and calling the colors right.

you could make big number and put them on the wall and point to them as you count every once in a while

counting things is so helpful at that age, shows that things have numbers and it gets in their brains. and its ok if they dont get it!  it will come eventually. making it fun really helps

just by saying colors when you point to things is a big help! like green grass, blue sky etc

character training - its good you are starting early! how ever you do it be consistant in it! They do need to know what mom or dad says goes! they need to learn to obey. that will help you with schooling big time!

going outside and enjoying bugs, nature, birds, etc! is fun! nature walks,

MommaChell
by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM

Oredeb's info is good stuff, so bump to that! You're little one will learn so much by observing. Include her as you can when she's interested, when she's not let her play. She may look like she's doing her own thing obliviously, not so, she's simply processing things in her own way soaking it up just being in ear shot.

katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I have two yer old twins myself.  We do 15 minutes a day right before music time and just after breakfast.  They are energized and ready to learn.  We just started getting good with 1 and 2, ,and are getting the hang of three.  Colors are coming along well (red, blue, yellow) and body parts are going great too!  SHapes need a little work lol.  THen throughout the day I just randomly talk about things, or talk about what we did in learning time.  You' be amazed how much they pick up just by you talking to them.  Like animal noises.  WE make it a game, and I swear they pick up a new animal noice atleast once a week!
     Plus a reading time before bed, and anytime during the day that they bring me a book.  We also take them to lots of hands on places, educational (but fun) activities.  Learning comes natural to toddlers!

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM

My 2.5 year old is already doing "tot school." We focus on a letter of the week. Read books, color, do crafts. She loves it and asks for school time. I've noticed her learning TONS lately. I try to make it fun

My Blog

bheath01
by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM

My son who is 3 (March 10th) has been a handful all through his 2's but now has settled down now that he knows the rules, and that I mean business. He loves playing games so I make a lot of file folers to help him with his colors, shapes, counting, letters. Read, read read, I got books from the library to help master his colors, now I am getting books to help him with his speech.  I have a poster board size of the ABC's. I also give him things to count like m&m's cereal ect. I know he is older then yours but those are some some ideas. He is now into writing letters. remember your daughter just turned 2 so she may not be ready.. my son just mastered his colors, abc sounds and letters at the end of age 2. Also get the leap frog videos, I think we have 3 and my son learned all his sounds from there. Also he watches super why and word world.  I hope this helps.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:01 AM

From birth!  We were always talking, reading, singing, pointing stuff out to my son.  It's never ending! 

We started some sit down work around 5, but it didn't last very long. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I agree, we have always done things like that.  With my first DD, it all came so naturally.  It seems with DD2 I have lost my mind or something.  haha

Quoting misselphaba:

From birth!  We were always talking, reading, singing, pointing stuff out to my son.  It's never ending! 

We started some sit down work around 5, but it didn't last very long. 

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

We started sit down work about 2....BUT my son was asking for it.  By two he knew about 10 colors, counted to 10, knew his ABC by sight....so yes, learning happens all the time, but at the same time if a child isn't interested in sit down work, it's kinda a waste of time.

I'm a child led mama, so if your 2 year old doesn't want sit down work, continue making it fun.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)