Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sticker/rewards charts with Pre-ks and Ks

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm wanting to start a sticker chart with my 3yro son for his potty training. He was doing really well, then he up and decided he didn't wanna use the potty anymore- I went through this with my daughter, so nothing new. With her, a simple sticker chart really helped. At that time we allowed my son, then 2yro, to get stickers as well when she would do good. It made it exciting for both of them and much less fussing from my son! Now that I'm wanting to implement the sticker chart again, I want it to be something they both can do. My thought is to again let them both have a sticker when he goes in the potty and maintain the team effort mentality. The whole process has got me thinking they are probably ready for responsibility charts (my daughter would LOVE it). I wanted to get any input from you fellow moms with experience. What worked, or didn't work, for your little multiples? 

by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 7:30 PM

when mine were young i gave them a rag and a squirt bottle full of water, and while i cleaned they would clean also! they learned by following along with me. of course they would squirt each other sometimes! but it made it fun, as they got older i'd put some cleaner in the bottle!

i had a chart of all our chores so they could check them off as they did there chore. I started the young, well they started themselves young cuz they always wanted to do what big sister was doing!haha

ElectraSpy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM
We have a ticket & chart system. They get tickets for good behavior, helping out, eating with good manners, putting their clothes in the laundry basket, picking up toys, being well behaved on errands, ect all day long. Bad behavior, fits, hitting, yada yada losses tickets. Usually a "that will cost you a TICKET" stops whatever is going on immediately. End of the day we count up the tickets for each child and place the amount of their chart, then at the end of the chart we decide how we're going to celebrate. Family adventure, game, toy or whatever tops their list, sometimes its yogurt, lol. My kids are 4 & 5 :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM

We use these charts. I like them and so do the kids.

It's all magnetic, the chores are simple, some basic self care like bath and brushing teeth, manners, pick up toys, clean room, etc that it's good for young kids. Plus you get blank tiles ifyou want to write ina  chore (like my 4 year old  has to wipe down the outside of the fridge every day so we used a write in tile for that)

Plus the white board underneath can be used for anything-list school work, write out the reward they are working toward (or-since it's magnetic too, you could post a picture or ad for a toy they are working toward)

My boys are 4 and 7 so they get $0.10 for each smiley face at the end of the week. If they do ALL their chores EVERY day they get a whole $5 (they have never gotten a whole $5! LOL)

Also-for the potty training, not sure if it's up your alley or not but chuck e cheese has some 'reward calendars' that youprint out and your kids, if they do whatever thing it is they are supposed to do (or not supposed to do-they have a no nose picking calendar! LOL) for 2 weeks you take the calendar to CEC and they will give your child 10 free tokens! It's a BIG reward for a little kid and wouldn't HAVE to cost you anything (I don't think you have to eat to use it....)

I used M&Ms for my youngest son. If he TRIED to make it to the potty but didn't quite make it he'd get 3-4 M&Ms, if he made it to the potty he'd get like 10, if I sat him on it but he didn't need to go-He'd get 2-3...

HTH

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

MommaChell
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Quoting ElectraSpy:

We have a ticket & chart system. They get tickets for good behavior, helping out, eating with good manners, putting their clothes in the laundry basket, picking up toys, being well behaved on errands, ect all day long. Bad behavior, fits, hitting, yada yada losses tickets. Usually a "that will cost you a TICKET" stops whatever is going on immediately. End of the day we count up the tickets for each child and place the amount of their chart, then at the end of the chart we decide how we're going to celebrate. Family adventure, game, toy or whatever tops their list, sometimes its yogurt, lol. My kids are 4 & 5 :)

This is a really great sounding system! I think I'll give it a go :D Thanks for sharing~

MommaChell
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Quoting SimplySonita:

We use these charts. I like them and so do the kids.

It's all magnetic, the chores are simple, some basic self care like bath and brushing teeth, manners, pick up toys, clean room, etc that it's good for young kids. Plus you get blank tiles ifyou want to write ina  chore (like my 4 year old  has to wipe down the outside of the fridge every day so we used a write in tile for that)

Plus the white board underneath can be used for anything-list school work, write out the reward they are working toward (or-since it's magnetic too, you could post a picture or ad for a toy they are working toward)

My boys are 4 and 7 so they get $0.10 for each smiley face at the end of the week. If they do ALL their chores EVERY day they get a whole $5 (they have never gotten a whole $5! LOL)

Also-for the potty training, not sure if it's up your alley or not but chuck e cheese has some 'reward calendars' that youprint out and your kids, if they do whatever thing it is they are supposed to do (or not supposed to do-they have a no nose picking calendar! LOL) for 2 weeks you take the calendar to CEC and they will give your child 10 free tokens! It's a BIG reward for a little kid and wouldn't HAVE to cost you anything (I don't think you have to eat to use it....)

I used M&Ms for my youngest son. If he TRIED to make it to the potty but didn't quite make it he'd get 3-4 M&Ms, if he made it to the potty he'd get like 10, if I sat him on it but he didn't need to go-He'd get 2-3...

HTH

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)