Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long have you been homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How long have you been homeschooling?

Options:

1-2 years

3-4 years

5-6 years

7-8 years

9 + years

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

I'm just wanting to get a feel for how long you ladies have been homeschooling.  I have 3 kids and we have been homeschooling since the oldest was born (10 3/4 years).  wink mini  We are moving into our 4th year of official schooling.  Keeping records, having the kids answer the age old questions "What grade are you in?" and "What school do you go to?"  The law in our state (ID) says that 7 is the age for starting school, so that's when we officially started.

What have you found most challenging and what have you found most rewarding?

For me the most rewarding thing is to be able to be with my kids all the time and watch them mature and learn and become passionate about what they love.

The most challenging thing for me has been dealing with my son's attitude about school.  Especially since he LOVES learning.  It's getting better, but some days are still a fight.

st. patricks day~ ~Elizabeth~ ~

by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-16):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:22 AM
We are just finishing our 4th year.

Most rewarding is seeing the kids grow in confidence.

Most stressfull is DS2 who has adhd and an undiagnosed reading issue. It is a struggle getting him motivated and learning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Your oldest must be around the age of my oldest or actually probably older since you have been at it 27 yrs. My oldest is 31 yrs old now. I guess if you started in K your oldest is probably 32 or so.

Quoting oredeb:

weve been homeschooling for 27 years

most rewarding- is looking back at how the kids have grown in there personal lives, what they are like now, being able to teach them, looking at the choice they have made growing up! watching them grow up and being able to be there the whole time! i sure miss those younger years!

challenging- keeping ahead of them in math!!!

debbie

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 6, 2011 at 5:36 PM

hi brenda, yes my oldest will be 32 this year, i started her when she was 4 that was in 1983! all those fun years!

Quoting bren_darlene:

Your oldest must be around the age of my oldest or actually probably older since you have been at it 27 yrs. My oldest is 31 yrs old now. I guess if you started in K your oldest is probably 32 or so.

Quoting oredeb:

weve been homeschooling for 27 years

most rewarding- is looking back at how the kids have grown in there personal lives, what they are like now, being able to teach them, looking at the choice they have made growing up! watching them grow up and being able to be there the whole time! i sure miss those younger years!

challenging- keeping ahead of them in math!!!

debbie

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM
We homeschooled for pre-k then public kindergarten which we regret. We will begin homeschooling in the fall for first grade.
I'd have to say we have actually been homeschooling all along because she has never really come home with anythig she didn't already know, so we continually have to challenge her because they don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scrapin_mom
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM

We just finished up our 2nd year.

randyxtracie
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 8:38 PM

We are starting this year.  I am equally scared and excited. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)