Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Setting up playdates

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM
  • 10 Replies
I have a social butterfly...she loves playdates! I love having people over too but it seems like when I ask the mom about a playdate like I am asking them out on a date. It is so nerve-wracking sometimes....do you get that too?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:03 AM

hahah never been asked to a playdate!!hahaha not even sure what one is!!

Melissa6705
by on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Lol...a playdate where you ask the mom and daughter or son over to your house so the kids can play and the moms can talk.

Quoting oredeb:

hahah never been asked to a playdate!!hahaha not even sure what one is!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

hahah well thats simple!! you'd think moms would want to do that!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM
Most of my friends are my scout families... it just happened..let's come play!... lol

That has tuurned into a walking group 2-3x a week, Girls nights out, tonight my gals are coming to make chicken enchilladas...last time a food night happened we ended up with about 14 kids in the house!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xakana
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM

No, but it's just such a part of the parenting group that I belong to! To me, it's no different than asking a friend to hang out or going to hang out with a new friend to get to know them.

Melissa6705
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM
We are on meetup.com. too. I really like it.

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

Yes, I felt that way, too! 

Fortunately, I found a playdate Meetup group in my area and it makes it much more impersonal - I ask the group to attend my playdate or respond to the group if I want to attend their playdate - not quite as personal!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChell
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Quoting Melissa6705:

We are on meetup.com. too. I really like it.

Quoting Sarahsmommy1008:

Yes, I felt that way, too! 

Fortunately, I found a playdate Meetup group in my area and it makes it much more impersonal - I ask the group to attend my playdate or respond to the group if I want to attend their playdate - not quite as personal!

I'm thinking about joining one and I'm hesitant. I joined one before my last son was born and didn't have a good experience :S The moms all only had one or two children with big age gaps between them, So it was a bunch of infants and older kid, with 1 or 2 exceptions. The moms were also, not very freindly, which confused me since it was a meet up group *shrug*. I'm hoping things will be different this time.

twinstartermom
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:07 AM

I get it ALL the time. I ask and they are just too busy. I end up just giving up and being bored at home with the kids.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 6:02 PM

OMGosh, I totally feel the same way. I get all nervous and start thinking "What if she doesnt' like me? What if I don't like her?"

*Sigh

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:52 AM

Honestly I'm a very social open person so I don't feel nervous asking people to get together, but I can understand where one would.  Maybe start out doing it as a group thing that way everyone is talking, not just trying to have a convo one on one?  Might help break the ice a bit... Good Luck!  Playdates ROCK

Carey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)