Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Languages....a little off topic...ok, TOT!

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM
  • 6 Replies

This is a little off topic but here goes. When my son (now 3.5 years) started playing with my iPod last year (at 2 years) I thought I would be 'smart' and download some Language apps.  I started with Spanish, and then Italian , and the French.  I thought that would give him a good sample of languages.  Although I'm hoping to teach him Spanish.  Anyhow, I noticed that he wouldn't play anything but with French. 

He recently got a game for the computer, that he can play in English, Spanish, and French.  And he likes to play in French.  It's a little odd, since he's never heard anybody speak French before.  Do you think language can be in the DNA?  My son is 4th generation Italian/Greek-American on his father side, but we forget that he's also French decent as well. 

I'm not sure if my son understands what's being said in French, but he plays the game just fine.  And when he does flash cards, he can repeat the words.  What are your thoughts on it?

Loving wife ...Proud Homeschooling Mama ...TTC#2 ...BLOGGING it all on the way...Stalk me at Throwing Marshmallows

by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momversuswild
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Kids can learn through immersion and hearing the spoken language will help with his pronunciation.  Playing the game in French is helping him to learn words and their meaning.  But no, language isn't passed in DNA.

oredeb
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM

neat!! some kids at young ages pick up on languages pretty easy!

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:11 PM

LOL...yes, I know.  But it would be kinda cool.  It's just weird how somebody just like the sound of a certain language.

Quoting momversuswild:

Kids can learn through immersion and hearing the spoken language will help with his pronunciation.  Playing the game in French is helping him to learn words and their meaning.  But no, language isn't passed in DNA.

MommaChell
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Neat that he enjoys French...and not just fries :) I too enjoy listening to the French language when I come across it. It's cool that you thought to use your IPod in such a way!

PandoraRobin
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Young children do pick up languages very quickly if they are exposed to them enough. Also many languages have similiar sounds. English is actually one of the hardest languages to learn. If he enjoys French then encourage it. I would keep including the other languages also. I wish I had learned languages when I was young. But you are never to old to learn I guess. Keep up the good work.

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Well, I'm Buddhist....so I have a whole 'nutha take on it....and YES!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN