Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

the phone

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you take personal phone calls (those not relating to family business, but just friends and family wanting to chat) during the day?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

I feel like friends and family get mad because I cannot answer their calls during the day.  I know they assume I can just stop and chat because I'm not working in a paid position.  However, I am working!!  I have to keep the atmosphere conducive to learning and be available to my three kids to help them, explain to them, show them where to research.....

I love my friends and family and I don't want them NOT to call.  I do want to talk with them!!  I just can't do it during school hours.  I have gently and lovingly explained this, but I know that some are miffed about it :(

Does anyone else struggle with this?

by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jeng1980
by Member on Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I had a problem with one friend and I finally turned the phone to two rings and told her that if she needed to call me between 7AM and noon, then she would need to text me.  If it was emergent which it NEVER was, then I would call her back on break.  Otherwise the answering machine gets turned to two rings and I can hear whenever someone leaves a message and if it's important they WILL leave a message.  I just had to set ground rules and not break them at all.  If you give a little bit they take a lot.  Regardless of whether our position is paid or not, there is not a teacher that works public school that would rightly answer personal non-emergent phone calls just to chat with family and friends.  If they did and we found out about it, then we would be upset and would be or I would be up at the school if my child told me this.  These friends and family calling during YOUR school hours need to be considerate.  Bottom line.

MelodysLove
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I do, if I'm available. Most everyone has learned that I hs and that it comes first.

oredeb
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 4:52 PM

i answer the phone but i tell them i'm doing school now and cant talk so will call later.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM
I do talk if friends/family call but I tell them I may have to hang up if needed. They are all aware of our routine and most of my friends homeschool too. We try and save most chatting for afternoons as we are done by 1-20pm
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Depends on what I'm doing.  My son is only 3 so we only truely homeschool about an hour.  The rest of his learning is done through play.  If I'm doing chores, or if he's off playing by himself, then sure.  But I don't really get a lot of calls.

I talk to my mom once a day, and if my BFF calls, she times it with my son's quiet time :-)

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:38 PM

i don't talk on the phone much at all so i would have to say no i guess.

bashfull_77
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:40 PM

I do if I am not in the middle of helping my son. My girls are older and work independently but my son is only 8 and I have to work hands on with him.

So_Blessed7
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I answer calls if I can, but a lot of times I just let it go to voicemail. Some people do get a bit bothered by it, but I can't help that, I'm busy! 

No other job allows a person to answer calls every time they come in, a mom should be no different!

BritRose
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 12:00 AM

I have been struggling with this too.  I dont full time homeschool yet and I work part time, but friends and family seem to think that if Im home I should be able to answer the phone... Repeatedly... and then if they cant get me on the house phone they call my cell... repeatedly...  It is Extremely Frustrating!  I am not a big fan of the telephone anyway so it can really put me in a bad mood.  I have been thinking that when we start full time, I will put a message on the machine that if it is between the hours of (insert hours here) to please leave a message and I will get back to them as soon as Im free.  Because it is probably going to work out that we do most of our school work in the afternoons, I may have to put a note on the door too.   

momversuswild
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Quoting BritRose:

I have been struggling with this too.  I dont full time homeschool yet and I work part time, but friends and family seem to think that if Im home I should be able to answer the phone... Repeatedly... and then if they cant get me on the house phone they call my cell... repeatedly...  It is Extremely Frustrating!  I am not a big fan of the telephone anyway so it can really put me in a bad mood.  I have been thinking that when we start full time, I will put a message on the machine that if it is between the hours of (insert hours here) to please leave a message and I will get back to them as soon as Im free.  Because it is probably going to work out that we do most of our school work in the afternoons, I may have to put a note on the door too.   

I have actually left that type message on my answering machine.  It did work for a few folks.  I just hate to be that....well, forward about it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN