Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Library...

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM
  • 14 Replies

We have to a out-of-district fee of $112  just to get a library card, just because we live in a very small village outside of the city with the library. Its bonkers to me. I guess I'll just take the kids to the library for an hour or two a day to read and look for deals online for books to buy instead of just borrowing from the library. Anyone have a good website for cheap books or have an idea for an alternate route on this?

Thanks!!

I am first and foremost MOMMY to two beautiful little girls! ZOE is five and ELLIS is two. I am a stay at home, work at home, homeschooling, single Mom, a homemaker, dance Mom/ softball Mom, and I wouldn't have my life any other way!!

by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Oh my. I can't believe they change you at all, much less that ridiculous amount!

http://imaginationlibrary.com/

I do not know if this is available where you live but you can receive a free book each month.

Sarahsmommy1008
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Have you tried Paperbackswap?  I get a lot of my books through there.   It's basically a free book exchange - you only pay shipping for the books you mail (the other person pays shipping for the books you receive).  You can also trade one book credit for multiple books, making it an even better deal! 

I also get books at thrift stores/yard sales for $.10 to $.50.  When I go, I have a list that I need to find for dd's curriculum this fall, but I've picked up so many other books lately, that her library has tripled - I'm having to put some of it away for now.

ladyluke2007
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

WOW1 What a charge just for a card.  Welp, what I'm thinking, and I haven't read anyone else's post to see if they mentioned this yet but yard sales, thrift store and garage sales can be a great place to find used books.  Yes, you have to watch what is out there but I have found a lot of neat book at our local Goodwill Store.  I got several "Chicken Soup for the Soul......", Dr. Seuss, Golden book and a few other books there and my kids love reading them. 

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jun. 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Do you pay taxes to that library district?  If not, that's the purpose for the fee.  It's so annoying!!  The library in the district right next to ours started charging people $121 per year if they don't pay taxes that help that library.  So dumb!!

oredeb
by debbie on Jun. 8, 2011 at 4:07 PM

dont they have a special price for school kids for a card?

mommy.etc.
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Quoting AllThatBabyJazz:

Oh my. I can't believe they change you at all, much less that ridiculous amount!

http://imaginationlibrary.com/

I do not know if this is available where you live but you can receive a free book each month.

Thanks. I checked but we aren't in an area that is covered.

I am first and foremost MOMMY to two beautiful little girls! ZOE is five and ELLIS is two. I am a stay at home, work at home, homeschooling, single Mom, a homemaker, dance Mom/ softball Mom, and I wouldn't have my life any other way!!

mommy.etc.
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Quoting misselphaba:

Do you pay taxes to that library district?  If not, that's the purpose for the fee.  It's so annoying!!  The library in the district right next to ours started charging people $121 per year if they don't pay taxes that help that library.  So dumb!!

No. From what I was told by the librarian our town is a 'no man's land' and library tax is not included. The sad thing is that even the schools here only have about 50 books to choose from for all of their students. It's really sad, my kids and i have more books then the entire school district here.

mommy.etc.
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Quoting oredeb:

dont they have a special price for school kids for a card?

Yeah, $50. LOL.

ladyluke2007
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 6:22 PM

So what are the kids in your town suppose to do when they want go to the library?  Sorry to hear all this.  We are readers here and I can't imagine not being able to go get books from the library.  Have you looked at different yard sales and things?  I know it is more books in your library, but you can always find something more some where.

Quoting mommy.etc.:

Quoting misselphaba:

No. From what I was told by the librarian our town is a 'no man's land' and library tax is not included. The sad thing is that even the schools here only have about 50 books to choose from for all of their students. It's really sad, my kids and i have more books then the entire school district here.

Lovin' Wife of John & Proud Momma to Ashley-23 (Lovin' Wife to Pat & Momma to Liam), Matt-21,Tim-20,Tasha-18, Becca-16, Davy-14, Tommy-8 & Elijah-2yrs. & Gramma of Sarah-4 & Liam-23mos.

momversuswild
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM

That is outrageous!  I have never heard anything like that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)