Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We have to a out-of-district fee of $112  just to get a library card, just because we live in a very small village outside of the city with the library. Its bonkers to me. I guess I'll just take the kids to the library for an hour or two a day to read and look for deals online for books to buy instead of just borrowing from the library. Anyone have a good website for cheap books or have an idea for an alternate route on this?

Thanks!!

I am first and foremost MOMMY to two beautiful little girls! ZOE is five and ELLIS is two. I am a stay at home, work at home, homeschooling, single Mom, a homemaker, dance Mom/ softball Mom, and I wouldn't have my life any other way!!

by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM
Replies (11-14):
MommaChell
by on Jun. 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Wow, that's the first I've heard of this situation. I'm so sorry to hear the kids in your area are so limited!!! I don't have a lot of experience with getting books online. I'd recommend Amazon.com- they have book bundle deals- and half price books online. I know there are some online book clubs, as well as, some book swaps. I'd google, google, google and post around in various groups to see what kinds of resources you can pool. Best of fortune to you~

LostTheSlipper
hate this place
Yesterday at 2:06 PM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM

Make sure you check out Scholastic in their first order month of the year (September I believe.) They usually have a lot of cheap books, a free 10 book deal for a first order of the year book, and I think several $1 books or buy so much and get free books kind of thing. I think for that you can get like 15 books or something for $20 and it's a pretty good deal.

Ebooks maybe? I'm really not a big fan of them, but I also am not library limited (thank God!). http://www.gutenberg.org/ has many. I haven't checked out this site much but you may find things for them to listen to: http://librivox.org/

Maybe see what kind of deal you can get on used books listed on Amazon - be careful and read reviews about off-site sellers though.

Maybe freecycle? (Hmm, don't know how well this works if you're not in a bigger area.)

cocoroyale
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Scholastic and paperbackswap. awesome sites.

mommy.etc.
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Make sure you check out Scholastic in their first order month of the year (September I believe.) They usually have a lot of cheap books, a free 10 book deal for a first order of the year book, and I think several $1 books or buy so much and get free books kind of thing. I think for that you can get like 15 books or something for $20 and it's a pretty good deal.

Ebooks maybe? I'm really not a big fan of them, but I also am not library limited (thank God!). http://www.gutenberg.org/ has many. I haven't checked out this site much but you may find things for them to listen to: http://librivox.org/

Maybe see what kind of deal you can get on used books listed on Amazon - be careful and read reviews about off-site sellers though.

Maybe freecycle? (Hmm, don't know how well this works if you're not in a bigger area.)

I looked on Scholastic's website yesterday and couldn't find anywhere to buy the books. Maybe I need to look better. Do they sell books when the public school year is out for summer? I will definately keep an eye on their website in August and September and since my Aunt is a teacher I can get her to let me know since she is in charge of her school's fundraisers and book orders. Thanks :) I'll have to check out freecycle too. I'm not into eBooks really either, but as a last resort I'll have to check into them.

I am first and foremost MOMMY to two beautiful little girls! ZOE is five and ELLIS is two. I am a stay at home, work at home, homeschooling, single Mom, a homemaker, dance Mom/ softball Mom, and I wouldn't have my life any other way!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)