Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM
  • 15 Replies

My name is Lisa and I have been homeschooling for a year and half. My son will be in 3rd grade next year. We just recently moved onto Fort Campbell in Kentucky. My husband just got abck from a year tour in Afghanistan. Our oldest daughter just graduated from High School a week ago. I homeschooled her for a year and then she went back to public schools. I am looking for new friends to help me with curriculum, how to homeschool boys who are very active and hands on. And maybe see if there are any of you close by. I hope to hear from some of you soon.

by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

WELCOME!

momversuswild
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Happy homeschooling :) 

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM

I'm not close, but I know how craaaazy it can be to homeschool boys! They sure are different. (History lessons turn into battle grounds. Oy)

I'm glad your DH is back! Thank you for all that y'all do

SweetPea726
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome. His favorite subject is History. I try and make it fun. He learns about the History and then we try and go and see it. Watch videos if it's too far away. But, Reading has been a battle for us. But, he got his new glasses today and loves them and can see everthing now. So, we will see how this goes.

oredeb
by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM

welcome lisa!!!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:28 AM

Welcome Lisa!!!  I'm Carey, I have 4 boys, ALL VERY ACTIVE!  (11, , 9, 7, and almost 3)  We live in Central Florida. 

First, I'm so glad to hear your husand is back SAFELY from a year tour in Afghanistan, THANKS to him for his service!!!

I find we have to limit our schooling to the basic Math and Reading when it comes to sit down time.  We leave Science, Social Studies, etc to a lot of hands on and educational movies on Netflix!!  For Math we use Math U See and other subjects typically workbooks we pick up from Books a Million (Spectrum is our Favorite)

Look forward to getting to know you!!  I would love to chat more, feel free to PM me! 

Carey

Danielle163
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Hey Lisa--Glad your DH got back safely and yes, a big thank-you to all of you! I have a DD (who will also be in third grade) so I am no help on how to hs boys. Have you made any decisions about what you will be using?

MommaChell
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Hi Lisa :) Welcome to the group! I'm not in Kentucky (Texas). Congratulations on your husbands safe return!!! Don't hesitate to post specific post for each of the topics you're wanting to connect on. Also, bump your topics from time to time; we have a growing group and things filter to the bottom sooner than all our member can rotate through and see the posts. I wish you all the best and look forward to getting to know you better. Bests~

SweetPea726
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Thank you ladies for all the good info. We used LifePac last year. He loved Science and Social studies. He hated reading, english, spelling and math. Now, I know most of it was because he couldn't see. I have looked into the math us see. But, if he is a little behind which one do I start with? There are several levels and I don't want to overwelm him next year. I have looked into spectrum for reading and language.  I want to do drive through history next year. And we are also going to go through the Presidents. Each week we will go through the Presidents and the States they are from and learn about their state birds, flowers etc. By the end of the year we will have gone through all the States and all the Presidents.  Thank you for the well wishes of my hubby home. I am glad he is home and safe......at least for a little while. Sigh....

SweetPea726
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN