Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My name is Lisa and I have been homeschooling for a year and half. My son will be in 3rd grade next year. We just recently moved onto Fort Campbell in Kentucky. My husband just got abck from a year tour in Afghanistan. Our oldest daughter just graduated from High School a week ago. I homeschooled her for a year and then she went back to public schools. I am looking for new friends to help me with curriculum, how to homeschool boys who are very active and hands on. And maybe see if there are any of you close by. I hope to hear from some of you soon.

by on Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Replies (11-15):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 11, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Hi!  I'm Nikki - I will be homeschooling 2 little girls.  Julia will be 6 in July and Chelsey just turned 2 in April.  We live near Cincinnati Ohio :)

I'm not sure what methods you use, or prefer, but I really like this combination of Charlotte Mason and Classical that I am currently doing.  My favorite Charlotte Mason website that has helped me TONS is http://www.simplycharlottemason.com/.  I love their curriculum guide and all the info they have, including their forums. 

For classical I have found the book "The Well Trained Mind" to be a staple, and love the website http://www.welltrainedmind.com/ - especially the forums. 

Our "main" curriculums, or core I suppose are:

Math - Saxon 1
Writing - Handwriting without Tears
Spelling - All about spelling
History - Story of the World Ancients
Science we are using Outdoor Secrets - this is from simplycharlottemason.com
Nature - Hours in the out of doors - also from SCM
Literature - we're using the book list from SCM
Grammar - we will start this second semester I think, but it is English for the Thoughtful Child

Then we have some other things like character development, music, art, poetry, etc.  The thing I like about the Charlotte Mason method is that it has short lessons, just 15-20 minutes per subject, so that the child is engaged throughout the lesson and it doesn't seem to drag on and on.  Really, I'm just in love with her whole philosophy on education. :) 

I am currently reading "The Charlotte Mason Companion" and it is really good. 

SweetPea726
by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Nikki, Thanks for the great web sites. I have checked them out and I really like it.  Thanks again.

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 10:50 PM

WELCOME!! And thanks so much for the sacrifices you and your family have made for us all.

I saw you mentioned Math U See? They have placement tests on their website under the "support" tab. I strongly suggets using those to guide where you place your son. Every child is different. My son came from the public schools mid year of 3rd grade and we continued using the schools curriculum ( in some states you can do that for free). Then in 4th grade we started with Gamma from Math U See.It has been a great choice for him.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:06 AM
You're very welcome! I remember feeling so overwhelmed in the beginning and those things really helped. :)

Quoting SweetPea726:

Nikki, Thanks for the great web sites. I have checked them out and I really like it.  Thanks again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea726
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Swim-mom72 I will look for the placement test. Thanks. 

Boobah, He hated what we used last year which is why I am trying to find something he would like for next year. I don't want to battle with him everyday. And that is what we did with the curriculum last year. Thanks for your help ladies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN