Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Keep Kids Active

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM
  • 2 Replies

The number of overweight preschoolers has doubled over the past ten years. Try these tips for keeping your child's day filled with activity and learning.

Encourage outdoor games
Classic games like Tag, Follow the Leader, the Hokey Pokey, and Hide and Seek will keep little ones on the go. Most young children are active learners, so games like Hopscotch and Four Square will help them learn their numbers while also keeping them physically fit.

Explore the world around you
Dig in the dirt. Chase after shadows. Throw sticks in a puddle. Plant a garden. The world is your playground.

Make TV time active time
Kids don't need to slump on the couch as they watch favorite programs. Encourage them to sing, march and dance along as they watch characters like Barney, or the Boohbahs.

Limit TV time
When a program is over, turn the TV off and suggest one of the activities below to promote active learning.

Provide healthy snacks.
Active kids need the right fuel for their growing bodies. You'll find kid-friendly recipes for nutritious snacks like Ants on a Log and Grapecicles that you can make together at the Zoom Café.

Do chores together
Dust. Sweep. Wipe off the table. Give dolls and trucks a bath. Not only will you stay active, you'll make your child feel like a grown-up, responsible member of the family.

Set a good example
When you exercise regularly and eat healthy foods, you set an example that will shape your child's habits for life.

http://www.pbs.org/parents/parenthelpers/keepactive.html

.~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~._ .~*~.

PERSONAL NOTE:

In all honesty, I did want to share this article, but disagree, I don't think overweight children is linked the way most might think. My eldest son was always eating happy meals (I realized when I looked back on home videos), and my eldest son was spoiled because of our situation. Doesn't make it right, and we see the error of our ways, but he was worse than some of those displayed on Maury (daytime TV). And he's now fifteen years old, almost six feet tall, and skinny as a rail. He was always a slender child, smart, and it leads me to believe it is more genetics than environment. Our younger two eat healthy (becoming nutty about it), recycle, and active lives when compared to my eldest. If I had to think of one of my kids to be at risk, it would be my youngest, he is more stalky (but thin), and the portioning of his body compared to my first two. I think we could be at risk in society of going overboard and dragging normal kids down, and that dictating to others is the wrong path... and why I am embarrassed to admit I live in CA with our hippie culture turning dictatorship!

We push the kids because it keeps their minds active! http://motherofallboyz.blogspot.com/2011/05/things-to-do-with-your-child-in-free.html

~*Beverly*~
http://motherofallboyz.blogspot.com

by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MommaChell
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for sharing. I like the suggestions, especially the last one! It takes a motivated parent to encourage their kids to be motivated; note that not one of the suggestions started with, "watch your kids motivate themselves to...", lol. I believe that weight is not a direct indicator of health, it is only one aspect of the whole. Moderation is my rule, God is my guide, nature is my blessing :) Bests, and thanks again for sharing~

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM
I agree, I am overweight, but am in better shape and health than many of my peers. I know so many who can eat constant junk, lay around all day and be 120 pounds.
Now I'm not saying you shouldn't try to keep your kids active! I know I as a kid was super active, and my kids now are too. I limit tv time to nearly none, and we are always moving. This year I am going to work on our food. We live way too close to mcdonalds. I have seriously gained 20 pounds since they opened a few years ago because it is just so convenient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)