Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT- Husband needs help- PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm a lurker, but I've commented a few times here. I love this group:). I've been homeschooling for a year. My DH is very supportive and works so very hard to provide for our little family of five. 

His parents were much older when they had him. His mom was 40, his dad 44. His sister is 15 years his senior and moved out as soon as she could. He was raised on tv, went to ps and was placed in remedial classes because he was a late reader (he couldn't read well till seventh grade because of this), and was put on ridalin (sp?) for many years. He did graduate normally and has been working since he was 16. 

Of course there is no undoing any of this now, but I'm just trying to give a bit of background:). 

My question is this: he is terribly unhappy in his job and feels he is simply stuck. When others slack off or just don't care he gets stuck with their work on their days off. (He is a merchandiser for Doctor Pepper, used to have a route but they're reordering routes to have more remote workers an less company trucks, so he is a swing guy). An example is that today the route guy had left yesterday's delivery stacked on literally 10 pallets only half full and stuck them up in the steel! DH had to spend an extra three hours at that Walmart to fix the mess because the store was mad. They blamed him, not guy who did it. He also gets paid a daily rate an only $5.15/hr after 8 hours and he works from 5am until he's done...which more often than not is after 6pm. One week 
 last summer he worked 92 hours. 48 of those he was paid his daily rate and for the other 44 he earned $226.60!!! ONE WEEK and he worked more than two weeks worth! For piddly pay! Ahhhhh!

What kinds of jobs are out there that a hard working man can do? He is such a wonderful man, he is so smart, but his self esteem is shot after so many years being told he was stupid by the schools. His parents also never really said he could do anything and he was left very ill-prepared for this world. He is missing all this time with the kids and I feel like a single mom who doesn't have to work outside the home. I can't get a job because I never know when he'll be here. 

I'm so sorry for the long post. Please, all ideas would be awesome. 

Loni

Pray hard. Name names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I really don't have any advice. Just a huge hug. SUpport him, tell him you love him, and just be there for him.

oredeb
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:33 PM

will be praying for him

Kleotide
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I don't really know.  Here's a bump though.

PeanutEmmynem
by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Thanks, you guys:).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2queenie2004
by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I wish I knew. We have the same situation here. I don't work, I have tried to over the years but the schedule doesn't allow for that and I would never make enough for childcare.

I feel like a single mom too. It is better now b/c dh went to days after 12 years on the overnights. We lost $200 a week in him doing that....ouch.

I really wish I could help you out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)