Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

To conference or not to conference?

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 9:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

Do you go to HS conferences? What's your favorite thing about them?

If you don't go, why not?

coffeeI'm a mom who can't sum up what's right for her family in one paragraph

Yeah, yeah, I blog, too: http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

by on Jun. 10, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM
I went to the Midwest homeschool convention for the first time in April and I loved it!!! I only wish I knew then what I know now so I could have benefited more from it and made better choices. I'd have saved on shipping too! Lol
Next year I'm going to attend all the Charlotte mason speakers I can, and hopefully have my curiculum planne out so I can finalize there anything I haven't gotten used or online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy
by on Jun. 11, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I'm going to one next weekend. Any advice? There are a few speakers I want to listen to (One of which is a vendor, so I need to be cautious!) And I can't wait to get my hands on some of the books

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM

Oh gosh, well, how far into HSing are you? 

When I went to the convention, I was a total newbie, and hadn't even decided (okay, I decided, but it was the convincing of my husband) we were going to homeschool yet.  So I didn't know what I wanted to see or do or listen to. 

As a newbie, I picked a few speakers that I could of and should have skipped.  I had an awesome speaker named Terri - unfortunately I can't remember her last name.  But she had 2 classes that I went to.  1 regarding choosing your curriculum and the other basically talking about homeschooling and the 10 top "tips".  She was super helpful - she is the owner of knowledgequest as well, but I didn't feel she was spammy at all.  She even gave away books at the end.

I wish I had my list of what I saw in front of me.  If you are into Charlotte Mason at all, I'd take the classes by Sonya Shafter if she is there.  She is from Simplycharlottemason.com  - I didn't get to see her, and now I wish I would have attended her sessions as well as visited her booth. 

Do you have an idea of what method you will be using, or what books you'd like to see?  It would have been helpful for me to have researched a few of the math curriculums, as well as science and history. 

My advice is take your time, and enjoy it!  I wish there was another one close to me so I could go again!  (And I have my curriculum all planned out already!  haha)

Gumberly
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM
I am going to mine at the end of the month. This will be my second time going. Last year I enjoyed most of the speakers but didn't benefit from the curriculum sale or used book sale because I had no idea what I was looking for. This year I have made a list of what curriculum I want for the up coming year complete with pictures and retail pricing. This way if there is a class I want to attend when the used curriculum sale starts DH can go to the sale and know what to look for. It also insures that what I buy in the vender hall is actually a deal and not something I could of just waited to get.
I highly recommend going through the list of speakers and classes if your conference has them listed online. Read the class descriptions and speaker bios. See if the speakers have a site where you can read more about them. If you know what style you are going to use avoid vendor workshops that are for products that don't tie into you goal. Pick speakers and topics that interest you and don't let the day over whelm you.
The biggest thing for me is remembering that just because something works great for someone else doesn't mean it will work for my home and I shouldn't doubt what works just because someone makes another method sound fabulous. It is for them but that doesn't mean it is for us.
mom2queenie2004
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I went to one a year ago. Very overwhelming. A lot of info to process. Never take the kids. I liked being able to actually see and be hands on with the curriculum I had heard about so many times. I didn't go this year... maybe next year I will go again.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I have only been to one.... I think going provides a lot of information and options,  though I wouldn't buy much at one, more online because I'm terrible with making decsions when given that many choices LOL

Carey

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM

The one I'm going to actually provides a huge play area for the kids. (It's like an auditorium, complete with child care) for the duration of the conference.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I think it was a wonderful opportunity to meet other parents and see hwo they do things, to share ideas, and to let the kids play!

oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

i dont, ive been to one years and years ago when i first started, it was a gregg harris one, but ive never been to another!

because, i dont like to sit still for so long and listen to someone talk! and they cost a lot and i dont have a need to go! but i do like to go to curr. sales!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Definitely this too, I met an awesome family who really helped me to focus and think about what I wanted to accomplish.  :)

Quoting TigerofMu:

I think it was a wonderful opportunity to meet other parents and see hwo they do things, to share ideas, and to let the kids play!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)