Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Educational Computer Software/Programs

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 1:02 AM
  • 7 Replies

What computer programs do you own for your kids education? Have you tried any that you wouldn't recommend?

by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 1:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM
Gosh I can't remember the actual name. I'll hbe to check. But so far we have only used the typing portion of it. Something like elementary advantage. We got it at half price books for $3 brand new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
Cool. Customization!
Yesterday at 4:20 PM
by Member on Jun. 12, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Yes - Elementary Advantage is good. I picked it up purely by accident. We were in a place like Office Max or Office Depot and they were getting rid of old software. I think it was $5 and it's pretty cool.

Reader Rabbit when he was younger.

Oregon Trail

Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego?

There's a cool one about animals. Making your own Zoo or something, and it has encylopedia facts about the animals and everything.

sheppardsoftware.com has some cool stuff as well

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Honestly right now we don't have any.  All of ours are fun games right now :) 

MommaChell
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Good stuff ladies thanks :)  I've got one I haven't even used yet, it's called Charlie Church Mouse. We've done free online stuff to date. I've heard & seen Reader Rabbit before. If all goes well with the CHM I may look in to expanding our collection of programs.

oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:58 AM

years ago we used mavis beacon, that was pretty good rreally, taught every one how to type

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM

My son (3 years) has Caillou, Learn to play Chess with Fritz and Chester, and an old Winnie the Pooh game.

He also likes playing on Starfall.com and PBSkids.org.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I need to bring my mac upstairs.  For some reason I can't get the Elementary Advantage one to work on my laptop.  We have this Pooh Kindergarten one, but it's pretty useless. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)