Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Home Schooling in NY

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, I live in NY and I will be starting to home school my to children ages 5 and 7 this coming September.  I was wondering if there was any advise anyone can give me....

Thanks!!!

by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:33 AM

wow congratulations!!! best thing you could do for you and the kids and your dh!!

have you decided how your gona homeschool yet? what books etc. to use?

looked up your state law?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM

As oredeb said, Congrats, and welcome!  :)  And the first thing is the state laws.  Go to HSLDA.org and look up your state.  They have been super helpful to us.  I'm in Ohio :)

My advice is to first decide if there is a certain method you'd like to follow, or a collection of methods.  We follow the Charlotte Mason method, with a mix of Classical in there. 

My favorite book is "The Well Trained Mind" by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer.  Most libraries have this, although I plan on purchasing it, because I have kept it for the last 5 months renewing it over and over! 

Some people like to use a full curriculum, some people pick and choose their curriculum, and some use no curriculum at all.  You can homeschool for next to no cost, or you can spend up to a couple thousand I'm sure.  LOL  We probably spent around $200 on our curriculum choices, and then I bought things we really don't need, so our price went up.  (Things like a binding machine, books we could have gotten at the library, organizational supplies)

Feel free to jump in and ask questions, there are so many helpful ladies in group!

Crissy83
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM

NYS HS laws are crazy.  They are so anal about everything, GAH!  Because they are that way I am going to go through cirriculumstockroom.com(I think that's what it's called) that way I can fill out my sons IEP correctly and so the school system can't say anything, then I will supplement with other things, I'm just not sure what yet.  I do know my son catches on to things and picks things up rather quickly, where as my daughter takes a bit longer, so I want to be sure that he is being challenged.  That was one of his complaints in school was that it was boring and the things they would go over in class he already knew.  But of course the teacher has to wait for all the kids to grasp the material before moving on so my son was getting frustrated.    I figure if the cirriculum we get for him dosen't work we can try something different.  The big problem is trying not to expect perfection from myself. like I expect to be the perfect teacher right off but I know that's not a logical or reasonable attitude to have. I have to slap myself outa that right now :)   So I have to send an IEP, and I have to send quarterly reports of my kids progress.  I'm not sure about testing but I'm pretty sure they will let me know about any testing he might have to do.   Thanks for the encouragement! I really do appreciate it.

PS. what's a Binding Matchine and how much are they?

BigSandyMom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Welcome to the world of homeschooling!!  It may not be easy at first, but trust me when I say that you are doing the best thing in the world by homeschooling your children!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Welcome!!!  Looks like you have already gotten some great advice!  I'm not in NY, so I have no advice as far as your area goes but when it comes to being a new homeschooler... I would suggest taking things slow, just get to know your childrens likes and dislikes and how they learn best.   If I had the beginning to do all over again I wouldn't have tried to make homeschooling so much like regular school.  I stressed out too instead of slowly easing into it... just take it easy, relax, enjoy and make as many homeschooling friends as you can!  (Here on CM is a great start) Support from those that have been homeschooling for a while helps sooOOoo much! :)  Sending you positive uplifting vibes!  Look forward to getting to know you!  Feel free to Private Message me anytime!

MommaChell
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Bump to all the above mentioned advice. Take it one day at a time and be realistic with your aspirations. Remember, it's not like public school and it doesn't have to be! Customize it to meet your families needs. And remember, of the most important thing you are fostering in them is the love and pursuit of knowledge. Bests~

Crissy83
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Thanks you guys so much for all the good advice.  I need all I can get!! lol  Hey does any one know what I should write in my letter of intent to the school?  

MommaChell
by on Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Yw, let us know how things are going. Bests~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)