Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Was there something you expected to be great, but it totally bombed?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

I keep hearing how wondeful the curriculum choices I have made are, but I keep looking through a few of them and am wondering if they are really going to be that good. 

Did you buy something thinking it would be awesome, and it was a flop?  What didn't you like about it?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM

I was gifted Bob Jones science and looked at it and knew it wasn't going to work for us so I just listed it on curriculumshare.com

Most things I use are free or very frugal (like under $5) so for the most part if it doesn't work it's not a big deal at all to chunk it and try something else.

I do not have a problem paying for Apologia science though, cause it's just awesome! Perfect fit for my son.

Usually if something doesn't work I just put it back so we can pull it out later or possibly use it for my younger son....

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:15 AM

The first year I pulled my boys out of public we kept using what they were using in school. In WV you have access to the same books and workbooks as if they were in school, all axcept the teacher's manuals. *ugh* So, that was a challenging year and a bit overwhelming. The next year was my first year to choose our own curr. I went with Life Pacs for history with my youngest. What a mistake. That was a really tough year, but I learned TONS from that mistake. I now know that not all kids, many in fact, do not do well and retain very little by reading and filling in blanks. So, the workbook style was not for us : )

Boobah, what materials do you have that you are questioning? Maybe some of us have experience with some of it and can give you insight and opinions.

BigSandyMom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Lifepacs Science is one of the things that was a big disappointment for us.  We just didn't get much out of it at all. Not enouh fun easy to implement science experiments for us.   So we have switched to experiment kits and will be using Apologia Science this year. 

Lifepacs History we found ok but still had to supplement with other reading materials as the Lifepacs just sort of skim over everything, but never get in depth with any of the topics. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I am really questioning the Saxon Math 1.  I looked through the book, and it doesn't seem like she'll be learning anything new until lesson 40 or 50.  That's 50 lessons of review!  So I'm thinking I will maybe do the assessments over the summer and once we get to something she needs help with we'll start there.  I have to keep telling myself we do NOT need to do everything in the book!  LOL

We are also doing handwriting without tears - printing book for first grade.  We started it yesterday, and I'm just not sure she how much it is going to help.  She knows how to write, she has been doing it for years.  But I want to improve her handwriting, so I'm going to keep at it. 

All about spelling - it seems cool and fun, I have heard great things, so I'm hopeful this one will be good.

Story of the world - ancients - I got the book, the activities book, the CD, and the test/answer key.  I'm not planning on using the test/answer key though, maybe next round in 5th grade I believe we do ancients again.  I like having the CD available to maybe give me a break.  Looking at our day it seems  I will be doing nothing but reading!  haha

Science we are using Outdoor Secrets and I'm not really sure about it.  I'm trying hard to put my trust in the CM method.  I think it will work out, I just have to have faith!

Quoting swim-mom72:

The first year I pulled my boys out of public we kept using what they were using in school. In WV you have access to the same books and workbooks as if they were in school, all axcept the teacher's manuals. *ugh* So, that was a challenging year and a bit overwhelming. The next year was my first year to choose our own curr. I went with Life Pacs for history with my youngest. What a mistake. That was a really tough year, but I learned TONS from that mistake. I now know that not all kids, many in fact, do not do well and retain very little by reading and filling in blanks. So, the workbook style was not for us : )

Boobah, what materials do you have that you are questioning? Maybe some of us have experience with some of it and can give you insight and opinions.

swim-mom72
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I am really questioning the Saxon Math 1.  I looked through the book, and it doesn't seem like she'll be learning anything new until lesson 40 or 50.  That's 50 lessons of review!  So I'm thinking I will maybe do the assessments over the summer and once we get to something she needs help with we'll start there.  I have to keep telling myself we do NOT need to do everything in the book!  LOL

We are also doing handwriting without tears - printing book for first grade.  We started it yesterday, and I'm just not sure she how much it is going to help.  She knows how to write, she has been doing it for years.  But I want to improve her handwriting, so I'm going to keep at it. 

All about spelling - it seems cool and fun, I have heard great things, so I'm hopeful this one will be good.

Story of the world - ancients - I got the book, the activities book, the CD, and the test/answer key.  I'm not planning on using the test/answer key though, maybe next round in 5th grade I believe we do ancients again.  I like having the CD available to maybe give me a break.  Looking at our day it seems  I will be doing nothing but reading!  haha

Science we are using Outdoor Secrets and I'm not really sure about it.  I'm trying hard to put my trust in the CM method.  I think it will work out, I just have to have faith!

Quoting swim-mom72:

As far as math, ALL math has review built in. Some texts have a lot in the beginning, Teaching Textbooks and Saxon come to mind, and others mix the review in throughout the whole year, Math U See and BJU do this. Review is a good thing at any age, never underestimate its value in helping you lay the foundation. When we used Saxon I would have the boys do odds or evens for many of the student pages. If they showed a solid understanding of the concept, then we would skip whole pages*gasp!* And at the end of the year, if you want to revisit old concepts, then you could use the skipped pages.

I have no experience with the handwritting curric you are using, we used Abeka. But I do know what it is like to have certain expectations or wants for my kids. I "want" many things for my kids, like for them to have great handwritting, to be good spellers, to really love reading, or to just do their work without having to be told or reminded.  And whether or not they can do any of the things that I want for them is not dependant on any one curriculum. Some kids will never be good spellers or writters or whatever. We put too much stock into the books we buy and not wnough stock in how we teach it. Sorry, I am rambling. I just do not like hearing new homeschoolers get discouraged over curriculum. You made good choices and if they do not work this year then there is plenty to choose from for next year : )

Now, we LOVED SOTW. I did not use it when my guys were younger, wish I would have. We used them for the last 2 years. My oldest used them for 7&8 grade and my youngest used them for 5th and will finish the last book this year for 6th. We used some of the coloring pages and summary cards in the back of the activity books for our notebooking pages and they wrote or drew somehting for every chapter we read. And the cooking activities were probably my favorite parts of the year and I will forever cherish that time. But I have to agree with what you said about reading. Most of my day is still spent reading, but that is how I like it.

I like a lot of what CM teaches, but I try to have a healthy blend of other styles as well until the mix becomes my own. It looks like you have a great year lined up, do not stress about it.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Oh yes!  Many, Many workbooks that I thought would be the coolest, the kids would love and they turned out to be completely bored with them :(   We've had that happen so many times the idea of buying a really expensive curriculum scares me!  LOL  I will say there is one that my kids absolutely love... Math-U-See.  Had to throw some positive in there.  hehehe

Carey

kingkongsmom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I didnt buy it however, it was a bit of planning to get to what I thought would be a good educational tool/experience,...We attended a PBSKIDS event in Indiana, it was to be fun/educational, it flopped, they werent set up for people with handicaps/disabilities, volunteers were not knowledgable, we did however get lots of exercise, I didnt pass out from heat or exhaustion...Then again I was on a mission and that makes me endure more,lol.

We also have a tuff time finding good resources unless we go to library or when battery on laptop is charging then we have resources, otherwise it is a tuff thing in Indiana. Can hardly wait for adoption last court date so we can move to a more 'kid first' environment again. We do use pbskids channel for educational programs, workbooks from walmart,.... and have visited historic places around here and in Ky. --- real education here is not a priority at all for most people.

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Somthing that bombed for us was Sonlight. I used it one year. That's all it took to kiill my son's love of reading. before Sonlight, he would read ALL the time. He couldn't get enough Tom Swift or the Hardy Boys. After Sonlight he stopped reading for please. It still makes me sad!

Betty in KY

MommaChell
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Nothing yet, but reading the post here have inspired me to do some reasearch (as always :P). I'm sure we'll have our share of flops.

@ Luvthesoap- so sorry to hear how Sonlight worked out for you and your son. I'll be keeping the comments here about that curriculum in mind! Why do you think it had such a negative effect?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)