Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Working parent and homeschooling?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM
  • 13 Replies
Due to circumstances, I had to get a job. I still want to homeschool, though. Prove to my DH that homeschool can be wonderful for our children.

Is it possible? Anyone here a single or working homeschooling mom?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TanyaMichelle
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Sorry I can't help but I applaud  your commitment! That is quite an aspiration! I just finished my first year of homeschooling our Kindergartener (most of which I was pregnant). Happy to say it went well overall. I just can't imagine trying do to all that and work too. Good luck!

Kenre
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM
I am thinking that after work we will have schooling. Saturday and Sunday will be longer school days. DH's job, as the stay at home parent, will to be to socialize them... or I will put them in a daycare.

I am trying to have a plan set for this. Currently we are "unschooling"; letting them chose their knowledge. Monkey, my three year old, is wanting to know how to spell and read. He is doing well, too. I think he enjoys learning at home.

Quoting TanyaMichelle:

Sorry I can't help but I applaud  your commitment! That is quite an aspiration! I just finished my first year of homeschooling our Kindergartener (most of which I was pregnant). Happy to say it went well overall. I just can't imagine trying do to all that and work too. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToraMay
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM

There are a lot of books on homeschooling while both parents are working. I have not experienced this yet, but it can be done.

sandra1023
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM

We will be doing that this coming year, because I will be working.  In the past, either myself or dh has stayed home with him in order to homeschool (dh stayed home while he was in school, and I stayed home while I was, however, we have both now finished).

Ds is almost 13, so he can do a lot of his work on his own.  He will be staying with my mil next door during the day, and she will help him with anything that he needs assistance with (except math, that will be fil).  I am hoping it will work out.  I gave ds the option of going to school, but he really doesn't want to.

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I did it when my daughter was in 7th grade and my son was in kindergarten...but I worked from home. I could juggle it.

Man, it'd be hard if you're gone all day...but I'm sure it can be done! If your DH is home all week, can he do a lot of it then? That way you're not trying to work all day, school all night and weekend? I would hit burnout FAST if it was me trying all of that!

randyxtracie
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM

We plan to homeschool our 5 children beginning next month.  DH completed a second degree after losing his job when the economy crashed.  He is now working as a contract employee and we hope he will be an official employee by October.  I will continue to work FT until year end (mainly for insurance benefits).  We plan to use some online learning options throughout the week while we both work.  My MIL stays with the children during the day and will oversee that learning.  We will supplement with more hands on learning each weekend. 

We expect it to be very challenging until I am home but think it is worth it to have the children at home. 

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I work for myself from home. I have several things I do to make money or get free things (that save us money)

I've always been a SAHM except for about 4-5 months I worked outside the home. Honestly, it's easier to work outside thehome I think because you go to work, you come home, once you are home, your time is yours. When you work from home, it's hard to seperate the two. There is always workt hat needs to be done and there is always things at home that need to be done. LOL

You can totally do this!

But if your husband is staying home, why can't he do school with the kids?

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)