Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

All About Spelling??? (piog)

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Anyone use this?? My son just started 2nd grade and we are using Rod and Staff....I'm not sure it's a right fit for our family. I have looked at Spelling Power and I don't like the set up. Please share your thoughts about All About Spelling??? How long does it take a day?? Thanks!!

by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:18 PM
I don't have any reviews but we were impressed with it and will be using it for our first grader in the fall.

I do have a tip though. Skip the letter tiles and print your own! I used 3 sheets of magnet paper, printed them, used packing tape to laminate them (because I only wanted 1 side laminated) then cut them out with my paper cutter.
Then I made m own dividers. I didn't see a need for the cd, so I saved $29.95!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 8:22 PM

The sessions are short. We're using it.

I LOVE that it teaches ALL the sounds for each letter up front instead of short sounds only then introducing long and other sounds later. That method confused my son when he'd try to sound something out, he'd get angry that he'd sound it our 'correctly' using the short sound but that it'd be wrong.

I also like that it comes with a CD so you can hear the sounds sounded out correctly, cause if you have an accent you often mispronounce things LOL It's nice to be 100% sure about it.

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM

hmmm....we did Spelling Power and loved it! So...I don't know but good luck with it!

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Quoting FlyHippie:

hmmm....we did Spelling Power and loved it! So...I don't know but good luck with it!

Let me add, that my son was older....so I am clueless when it comes to 2nd grade!

scrapin_mom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Thanks for your input. Has anybody else used it???

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I haven't used this program either.   I am going to take a look into it though!  Thanks!

Carey

mamaof2n1angel
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I got  this for my son whom loved it! his  siter   loves it too! i have the magnetic letter tiles so they  ccan  put them on the fridge and spell that way and i had them write the words  down in a notebook... and teh  cards that come with it are great too and the  bookfor  the  teacher is helpful in getting concepts  through t othe kids  easier and  the hand writing IMPROVED from the  proir year too!

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:15 AM

I agree tha making your own tiles might be a good idea, however I have to say I am a huge fan of the CD for 2 reasons

1-like I said before many people (me and my souther accent included) mispronounce many sounds. and

2-All About Spelling is designed to use all forms of learning-the CD-ROM allows you child to learn using auidtory skills as well as visual and tactile as they click each letter on the screen. This is crucial for some kids to retain info.(it's also why you do need letter tiles, even if you make them yourself)

No matter what type of learner you child is, every child (or adult for that matter) benefits when you use a multi-sensory approach.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22