Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Umbrella Schools

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hey ladies,

Do any of you belong to an Umbrella School? You  turn in your curriculum and grades to them. They help you with legal questions if you have any. Also, they have testing sites. The one I am apart of also has sports. But, we do that on our post. I was just curious if you have one or not? If you like yours if you have it? And why you don't have it if you don't. Just curious.

Wife to SSG Todd Halverson and 2 amazing kids.

by on Jun. 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM
I am not sure I fully get what they are for. Could you exPlain more why you would be under an umbrella school bs being on your own? Is it mainly for highschool so they can "graduate"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea726
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM

My son is going into 3rd grade next year. It has nothing to do with graduation. I was told I had to be under a school. So, if someone asked what school we were under. But, that was when we lived in TN and now we live in KY. If I don't have to pay that extra money I wont. I just wanted to know if others were under anything like it or on their own?

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

You need to look up the laws for your state, some states do make you have an umbrella school but not all of them.

Here is a link to the laws for your state.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Kentucky.pdf

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

We don't need them here in GA, so I don't use one. I'm glad I live ina  state where I'm totally independant. smile mini

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

oredeb
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:18 AM

we dont use one, our laws dont require it, thank goodness!! cuz i'd have to break the law!hahah

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

We aren't using one. In Ky it's not required.

Betty in Ky

BigSandyMom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

We are not currently using an Umbrella School.  In the state of Tennessee the only time you have to use one is for high school unless the parent has a Bachelor's Degree.  Parents do use them in TN for the lower grades though.  We don't but that is only because our county has a very homeschool friendly attitude towards homeschoolers.  If not for that, we would probably go the Umbrella School route too. 

Also they are currently trying to pass a bill in TN where you can homeschool through high school without an umbrella school even if you just have a high school diploma.  I am so hoping this bill passes because I don't want to have to fork out $100 a year to someone else for me to be able to homeschool especially when I've been doing it just fine on my own for the last three years.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Oh I see. Thank you :) I'm in Ohio, we don't have too much required.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SweetPea726
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Thank you ladies. I do live in KY and I don't need one now. I just wasn't sure. I can keep my own grades and records to what we do. I hate having to prove what we did to someone who doesn't know my child. Thanks again.

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:01 PM

SweetPea- I would be interested in the Umbrella School you use.  We are under one but all we submit is attendance... I kind of like the idea of being with one that keeps records, etc.  Does your have a website I can check out?

Thanks!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)