Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm secretly worried...

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
  • 20 Replies

That once we begin homeschooling in the fall I'm going to be a stressed out mess.  I hear so many people saying they have no free time, they barely get their work done, the house is always a mess (mine is now!  lol). 

From what I can tell, our "school" day should only be 2-3 hours a day, but even people that do Charlotte Mason I hear say they don't have enough time, or are always stressed out. 

Any tips?  Please don't take offense to this anyone!  I KNOW how hard it is, and that it isn't going to be easy, and every day won't go smoothly.  But I don't want it to be something that is stressful - for me or the kids. 

I'm also worried that even with all this planning, I'm going to bomb once we start and it will all be for nothing.

What secret worries do you have?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM

You make your own hrs! And really you find yourself loosing the stress! Look at it this way no more running for the school bus or into the car you can stay in your Jammie's all day! Who ever is telling you that is trying to discourage you and don't let them! I will post a video for you!

Homeschoolmom99
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

This is a comical encouraging video for all homeschool moms and families. Hope you enjoy!
www.metacafe.com/.../i_will_survive_homeschool_version - Cached
BigSandyMom
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:35 PM

One thing I suggest is to start out slow.  Don't try to do every subject and such right from the beginning. Ease into homeschooling by introducing one subject at a time until eventually you are doing them all.  And a routine will always help.  Don't stress yourself by writing out a planned out schedule for the year.  Because it only takes one illness in the family to through that schedule out of wack and you will be left with the feeling that you are behind and will never be able to catch up. 

As far as the house, what is a clean house exactly? LOL!! Between two boys, two cats, and dog and a trucker husband, I haven't seen a clean house since 1997!!  Make chores a part of your set routine and before long the house won't be a mess and you won't be stressing over it. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Please do, I'd love to see it :) 

See, I don't see it as stressful, but it seems most people do so I assume it must actually be!  haha 

I am very much looking forward to no more bus!  It took so much out of our day!  We'd have to rush to get ready, stop what we're doing, wait for the bus, come back and try to pick up where we left off.  It always interfered with what we wanted to do or where we needed to go.  Then in the afternoon, I was always paranoid that I'd forget her, so I'd stop doing anything for 15 minutes or more prior to time to go get her, wait for another 10-15 minutes, come back, then we have a period of resting and telling me about her day, because I wasn't there for it, kwim?

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

You make your own hrs! And really you find yourself loosing the stress! Look at it this way no more running for the school bus or into the car you can stay in your Jammie's all day! Who ever is telling you that is trying to discourage you and don't let them! I will post a video for you!

KelleyBamboo
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM
I'm scared that my son and I will butt heads over school. my oldest is VERY strong willed and has a very short fuse.
I'm nervous about unschooling. I KNOW he does best when things are in his terms, but I am a planner of the worst kind and I know going with the flow is gonna be hard for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homeschoolmom99
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I keep square laundry baskets in each room I don't think they have seen clothing for years! When I am in a room books and papers goes in and slowly go back where they go! I am so beyond happy to be on one floor now and not need to worry!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM

We've started our handwriting yesterday, and we're doing some reading on dinosaurs.  Julia wants to do a full day already, but I'm not ready for all that.  I still need to clean/organize. 

And I have no idea what a clean house is.  Everytime I clean something, 4 messes appear.  It's insane! 

Quoting BigSandyMom:

One thing I suggest is to start out slow.  Don't try to do every subject and such right from the beginning. Ease into homeschooling by introducing one subject at a time until eventually you are doing them all.  And a routine will always help.  Don't stress yourself by writing out a planned out schedule for the year.  Because it only takes one illness in the family to through that schedule out of wack and you will be left with the feeling that you are behind and will never be able to catch up. 

As far as the house, what is a clean house exactly? LOL!! Between two boys, two cats, and dog and a trucker husband, I haven't seen a clean house since 1997!!  Make chores a part of your set routine and before long the house won't be a mess and you won't be stressing over it. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM

haha, that was great!  thanks :)

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I understand!  Until recently I've been very worried because my older 2 boys aren't where most kids in their age group are with school work.  They have struggled a lot and we've had a rough road.  But they are still way better than they were in Public School.   I've decided to put my mind towards the good stuff and just STOP worrying!   

Some planning is good as long as you are flexible to change as well.  I stressed myself out in the beginning trying to be too structured.... things are so much better now that I'm more relaxed.  My Suggestion-Work on just thinking positive and about how great things are going to be.  Try to not focus on any of the possible downs... I believe we attract what we focus on :)... so if you put your mind and emotions to only how wonderful everything is going to go... there will be no bombs :)    Feel free to PM me!!!  Would love to chat!

btw... I hope that wasn't tooo mumbo jumbo LOL

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

timon95
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:25 PM

you make your own hours, you determine how you want your day to go. i school my kids after lunch, so from 1-5. our mornings are for running errands, cleaning, and fun. while i am making lunch they start some of their workbooks. after lunch we go down to the classroom and get our school time. when we come back up so i can prepare dinner they do their sign language video.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)