Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm secretly worried...

Posted by   + Show Post

That once we begin homeschooling in the fall I'm going to be a stressed out mess.  I hear so many people saying they have no free time, they barely get their work done, the house is always a mess (mine is now!  lol). 

From what I can tell, our "school" day should only be 2-3 hours a day, but even people that do Charlotte Mason I hear say they don't have enough time, or are always stressed out. 

Any tips?  Please don't take offense to this anyone!  I KNOW how hard it is, and that it isn't going to be easy, and every day won't go smoothly.  But I don't want it to be something that is stressful - for me or the kids. 

I'm also worried that even with all this planning, I'm going to bomb once we start and it will all be for nothing.

What secret worries do you have?

by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I also believe we attract what we focus on.  :)  I have positive thoughts and feelings for sure about this.  I definitely feel it is right for all of us in my heart.  I guess, I am  just *so* optimistic and positive that it will be great, that I feel like I must be underestimating when I hear the negative.  

I keep considering what the best time for us would be.  It would be nice to do it during my youngest daughters nap, from 1-3, but we do so much better in the mornings after breakfast.  I am afraid I'll slack and just not do it if we don't do it asap and get it done.  

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Boobah- totally understand the worry about slacking!   Its sooo hard to try to do things in the evening when I come home from work.   The kids actually do better then but I'm about to fall asleep once I sit down, easier for me to knock it out in the morning.  lol 

wright1212
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 7:00 AM

I have the same worries. With my 3 kiddos (1 demandingspecial needs) I barely keep the house afloat with scare schooling right now, I dont plan to start full force until August. Do check your states requirements. In TN I am required to do 4 hours a day for 180 days; OR 720 hours a year. I plan on starting schooling 1/2time in July just to leave plenty of days off through out the year.

I think practicing a schedule with chores can help see how to stay afloat (meaning someone picked up house, chores, and school work). I found when my DH goes to work at 6:30am If I get up too I can get alot done before they get up at 7:30. So I do my much needed computer time, pay bills, plan groceries, get dressed, plan lessons, ect. Kinda just like a teachers planning hour. My other tip that works for me is while the kids eat breakfast and lunch I stand to eat so I can clean the kitchen while eating. We are still in the same room,but it just works for me.

I worry terribly about being too tired to school all day, about butting heads with DD, about seeing the kids having fun playing and not wanting to pull them away for school work, over extending social activities due to the stigma of 'homeschooled kids'. Whew-I have many more worries, those are a few of my biggies.

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM

justb remeber that a bad day at "homeschool" is better han a good day in public school!

Betty in Ky

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Very good advice!

At the conference I attended I had an awesome speaker. He said even the lazy homeschooling parents child does at least the same as the average public school child. Something like that. He had all kinds of awesome statistics. I need to find my notes.

Quoting luvthesoap:

justb remeber that a bad day at "homeschool" is better han a good day in public school!

Betty in Ky

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

its funny boobah, ive always heard that also no time to finish everything or time for themselves, but ive always mostly finished and always found some time for my self. maybe because we always started in the mornings early, get up, clean bedrooms(which they had to learn), eat, do whatever chores we can get done before we start school at 9. school for 3 or 4 hours, eat lunch, finish chores, then theres time left till i need to cook dinner and the kids have time to pursue their activities or just hang out with me

i always write my list (lists help me a lot!)of what i need to do each day as far as house stuff and garden stuff, feeding animals etc, i also use a lesson plan for schooling the kids, and the kids have daily chores they do for a week at a time written down.

everyone has an idea on how a clean house should be, i like my house to be clean for my dh when he gets home so things are picked up, put away, we take about 5 min. before he gets home and clean up anything that needs it.

debbie

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 15, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Quoting oredeb:

its funny boobah, ive always heard that also no time to finish everything or time for themselves, but ive always mostly finished and always found some time for my self. maybe because we always started in the mornings early, get up, clean bedrooms(which they had to learn), eat, do whatever chores we can get done before we start school at 9. school for 3 or 4 hours, eat lunch, finish chores, then theres time left till i need to cook dinner and the kids have time to pursue their activities or just hang out with me

i always write my list (lists help me a lot!)of what i need to do each day as far as house stuff and garden stuff, feeding animals etc, i also use a lesson plan for schooling the kids, and the kids have daily chores they do for a week at a time written down.

everyone has an idea on how a clean house should be, i like my house to be clean for my dh when he gets home so things are picked up, put away, we take about 5 min. before he gets home and clean up anything that needs it.

debbie

Same here - except we don't start early in the morning - I'm sooooo not a morning person. My advice -

Keep things as clean as possible - if you let stuff pile up you'll never get unburried.

Give the kids definite jobs - my kids alternate with dishes, help do their own laundry, change liter boxes and they also clean their own rooms and vacuum.

Keep lists of everything - things you MUST accomplish that day, things you SHOULD accomplish that day, and things you DREAM of accomplishing that day

Keep yourself a priority. I don't like to think about the person I'd become if I didn't decompress wiht a book after the kids are in bed.

Be prepared to toss a schedule out of the window....I've realized the world won't come to an end if we're too busy to clean the kitchen that week....eventually we'll run out of dishes and be forced to clean them...lol...

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / Celtic Book of Shadows / Kickbuttmama's Pagan Path

Albert Einstein -- 
  "It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
  "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Secret worries? As far as homeschooling goes...none. I'm very laid back, have done my reserch and have found what works for us.

How can you bomb? You did hte planning right? You are the teacher, right? The prinicpal too, right? So if things get off course-go with the flow. If things don't work as planned, change the plan so it works for you.

Start your day with some free time then chores.

When you take a break from school-clean for 15 minutes. 15 minutes here and there throughoutt he day make a HUGE difference. Set a timer, turn on some music, and make the kids help too-you'll be fine mama!

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22