Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A problem with Sleeping

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM
  • 10 Replies

About the time my son turned 3, he started giving up naps. Which was ok, he still goes into quiet time. However, he's not sleeping good at night anymore. So I did some research, and the 'experts' say that a 3 year old should be getting 10.5 to 12.5 hours of sleep at night and 1 to 3 hours (1 nap) during the daytime. Now, I've always been big on schedules. He's ALWAYS had a bedtime, and he's been such a good sleeper. I know that he should be napping during the day, but how in the world do I *make* him take a nap? Do I get him up earlier in the morning? But that just makes him grumpy in the evening cause even those days he doesn't take a nap. But it's to the point that if we go anywhere after my husband gets off work (which is 4) that he falls asleep in the car.  Which of course leds to him staying up even LATER at night.

We have moved his bedtime from 7:30 to 8:30 since it's still day time outside (and he wasn't going to sleep until then anyhow).  But now he's staying up until 10 or later and getting up at about 8:30 (maybe a little later, maybe a little sooner).

We have the same routine as we always had.  Supper, play, bath, quiet play (like games, and make believe or something), books, bed. Why is he fighting sleep so much? HELP! I'm at my wits-end.

Loving wife ...Proud Homeschooling Mama ...TTC#2 ...BLOGGING it all on the way...Stalk me at Throwing Marshmallows

by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM

My DD has never been a good sleeper (DH & I were the same way so we know where she gets it from). We try to make sure we don't give her anything with caffeine or sugar, or we try to keep the sugar to a minimum. It can be exhausting to get her to go to bed. She is very hyper (as we both were-LOL!) Is he eating anything different? Or perhaps any new type of medicine? Good luck.

SimplySonita
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:24 AM

Both my kids gave up naps around age 3 too. I didn't push it. All I have ever done is had a pretty strict bedtime. A 30 minute window. (currently it's 8:30-9:00) They go to bed then, but aren't required to go to sleep. They get up when they want.

My 4 year old does take naps when he's sick-but other than that...

Has a nything changed-new schedule for mom or dad, loss of job/new job, move, friend moved away, pet died, etc. Kids can have 'weird' reactions to things.

You cna't FORCE a child to nap, if he's doing quite time, it's his oppourtunity to nap if needed (Assuming quite time is in his bed?)

Could be a food allergy?

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Enter to win a writing prompts e-book and a chance at a $50 amazon gift card! Ends 6/22

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:20 AM

I will be no help in this subject!  We have no real schedules here... we only had semi bedtimes when my kids were in school.  Now they have to get up early for camp but otherwise they just get up whenever (within reason) and go to bed whenever.  I'm soooo relaxed on this one.  Good luck though!!! <hugs>

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Wyatt gave up his naps when he was about 2. How is your DS's behavior? DOes he act like he really needs that nap?

When Wyatt first gave it up, I insisted on quiet time...a dark room, soft blanket and a movie

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Quiet time is in his bedroom.  It starts in bed, but he's allowed to get up, as long as I don't hear him.  Nothing new in his life.  He's recently on some meds, but this has been going on for months.  Maybe I do need to relaw a little on it.  His behavior is good.  Thanks for all the replies!

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Ok, so my semi-update.  We did things a little different today.  First we got up earlier (we are in the South, and the only time to play outside is before 9am or after 7pm...any other time it's too hot!). Anyhow, he got up at 8.  We read books, had breakfast and then went for a work (he rode his tricycle).  Then played outside for a bit.  Yadda-yadda-yadda.  Now it's 1pm and he's in quiet time.  I hooked up the CD player in his room, and put on his lulliby CD.  Closed the curtains.  Let him pick out a book, and told him that he must stay in bed.  He doesn't have to sleep, but i don't want him playing. 

I can see it in his eyes that he's tired.  And I know the moment I put him in the car, he's gonna fall asleep (we have errands to run this afternoon). 

We'll see how things go.  Thanks again every body for your input.

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Keep us updated! Hope to see you tonight :)

MommaChell
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I put all 3 or my kids down for a 2 hour nap/rest time daily. My oldest two don't have to sleep, but they have to lay quietly in bed and rest. They usually fall asleep. I check on them regularly while they are napping. Some days they don't sleep a wink, other days they fall fast asleep. I've noticed that if I don't lay them down at all, they are grumpy and/or overly tired in the evening. I believe they are learning so much, that it's healthy for them to have quiet time to themselves to sleep, meditate, and rest their bodies and minds. I have on occasion put them in bed to watch a favorite movie during nap-time, but they usually end up falling asleep to it. Going with out rest/or naps, which happens some days, depending on what we're doing, they get overstimulated, causing them to sleep restlessly, wake up throughout the night, and on occasion my daughter has walked in her sleep! 

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 10:45 PM

UPDATE- 18 June 2011: Ok, so we are STILL having trouble with sleep.  On Thursady, I got him up earlier, and put him down for a nap at 12:30.  And this time I told him he HAD to stay in bed. A little after 1, he was asleep and slept to about 2:30.  Then we started night time routine a little after 7.  Did having a nap help? Nope.  He still was up until 10. simple frown

So Friday, we still got up earlier, but I didn't make him take a nap, just have quiet time. 

Tonight is Saturday and he was still up until 10.  But I think, *THINK* I may be on to something.  Once I got fed up with him being up, I left his door open and told him that I could hear every move he makes and he better not get up out of bed.  He was alseep in 5 minutes.

See, ever since he's been in a twin bed (just after he turned 2), the rule has been "Mama has to tuck you in, but once I leave the room, you can get up.  As long as I don't hear you and you end up back in bed."  So that has worked until recently. Now he gets up and plays with his noisy toys or he'll beat on the wall.  That's what gets me mad.  He's not being queit anymore.  So tomorrow, I'm gonna leave his door open and see if that helps.

More Updates to come!

mommiemomma
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Our rule is once mom tucks you in you do not get out of bed. If mine had the option of getting up and playing quietly he would not sleep nearly as much and he would be a bear, lol. Not sleeping enough could defiantly make him not sleep well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)