Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does homeschooling in the summertime make me a bad mother?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM
  • 37 Replies

I have 3 children ages 10, 6 & 3..and they keep me on my toes! I thought it would be a good idea if we continued our studies through the summer months also (I mean why not...they ARE at home anyways). But I do make it fair...I think. They have a list of subjects and they are to choose one subject per day. Plus they can not pick the same subject twice! Then I give a prepared lesson in the desired subject...here's the catch...it's always something they struggled with during the school months! Not to mention it only takes about 2 hours at the most!

Yes I know it's summertime and there are lost of fun things to do. But some argue that I'm "Taking it Overboard"! And my argument is "NO! because of my efforts, my children THRIVE! It's not like it's all-day-long!....So Am I a bad mother...or should I take a different approach?

by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplySonita
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 4:48 AM

If it works for you, do it! Why would you listen to what others have to say about your family? Don't they hve their own fmailies they can raise as they see fit?

We school year round too.

Sonita-Homeschooling mama to Ephram (7) & Malachi (4)

Powered by CafeMom Toolbar - Get yours today!

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:16 AM

I homeschool during the summer as well. Especially since we are in Italy. Our "summer", "spring", and "winter" breaks are the vacations we've taken throughout the year. All of those have been "field trips". Right now we are schooling through summer because we are moving in October. I'm trying to get as much in before it gets to chaotic.

TroyboysMom
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:40 AM

We work through the summer also. I think learning shouldn't have to stop just because it's summer. That's ridiculous. We tone things down a bit, but that's because we have other activities going on, too. I say that if it works for you, DO IT. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:06 AM

No you are NOT a bad mother!  If it wasn't for my kids doing camp this summer we would have kept going with school work.  We have a lot of days where we don't even crack a book because we are running here or there or meeting up with friends so usually we do work through the summer maybe just taking a few weeks off.  If it works for your family, then go for it!!! 

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Not a bit! I think it makes you a GREAT mom!

If your kids were in public school, wouldn't you work with them outside of normal school hours?

mom2queenie2004
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM

A lot of us work a little through the summer. Not only do kids learn all the time... there are a lot of things that you can do during the summer that aren't as fun during the colder time... do a unit study on insects..... not so fun in the middle of December.

We also like the fact that we can use the summer when it is 100* outside to get some work done so when it is 70* outside we can enjoy the park and outside activities when the school kids are stuck inside.

SouthernMama08
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:44 AM

I'm homeschooling in the summer.  I plan on schooling year-round.

jwhite83
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:47 AM

I will be homeschooling throught the summer also. I did think about it a little more today since it was the last day of school for the public school children. I saw them running off thebus and just so excited that it was the last day. And I Thought about how my daughter doesnt really have those things to get excited about because she will be doing school throughtout the suummer. I thought maybe half days instead but I dont know yet.

DusksAngel
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I think it's a great idea!  It will keep you from having them forget everything you all worked so hard on.  And you can always take extra days off if you feel like it :)

FlyHippie
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:29 AM

We school through the summer, too. My son has taken 2-3 weeks off, then when boredom sets in, we hit back up. It's a lighter load, and if something fun comes up, we'll take time off for it....I don't keep him from fun stuff, but why would I want to watch him sit and play video games all day? 

I'm in TX and it just gets too hot to be outside sometimes. I don't think it makes us bad, I think it makes us efficient!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)