Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does homeschooling in the summertime make me a bad mother?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 children ages 10, 6 & 3..and they keep me on my toes! I thought it would be a good idea if we continued our studies through the summer months also (I mean why not...they ARE at home anyways). But I do make it fair...I think. They have a list of subjects and they are to choose one subject per day. Plus they can not pick the same subject twice! Then I give a prepared lesson in the desired subject...here's the catch...it's always something they struggled with during the school months! Not to mention it only takes about 2 hours at the most!

Yes I know it's summertime and there are lost of fun things to do. But some argue that I'm "Taking it Overboard"! And my argument is "NO! because of my efforts, my children THRIVE! It's not like it's all-day-long!....So Am I a bad mother...or should I take a different approach?

by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Replies (31-37):
Danielle163
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

We take the month of June off and head back in July also. Then we do about 60-75 minutes 3-4 days a week, reviewing. Then in August, we still do the same amount (of time) but we move to the new school year material. Its whatever works for your family.

chattinmom
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I would, and am, doing that, but i am going to do it a few times a week.  I think every day may be a bit much.

Melissa6705
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM
We school too.....if your a bad mom for doing it so I am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Loisaida76
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I agree with MedicMommy. You are a Great Mom for all you are doing. Teaching and Learning never stops just because of Vacation time. If there is an opportunity to teach and learn then one should take advantage of it.

My kids prefer summer homeschooling versus getting up extra early to sit in a hot classroom on a nice day, doing the same school work they got during the full school year.

There are many in Free summer school programs and some the parents are paying for. But if you can be the one spending fun time with your children during the summer and yet still provide them with an education for Free then Go for It !

I remember my teachers telling me on the last day of school, " Make sure to read over the summer and study dont just play all day long."  Best advice ever.

Public school students in the summer school program are only getting 2 weeks vacation out of 2 months and have to be on time daily with out an absence.. smh the kids get 1 week off before summer school and then 1 week off before the regular school year starts. 

I think your kids have a better deal than the P.S. summer kids.

Quoting MedicMommy:

Not a bit! I think it makes you a GREAT mom!

If your kids were in public school, wouldn't you work with them outside of normal school hours?

countjb
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I think it sounds like a good and fair plan. My daughter was in public school for two years, so she got used to being off in the summer. If she would agree to it, I would homeschool all year round. I've heard of many homeschoolers doing it.

ElectraSpy
by on Jun. 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM
Our school year ended last Wed, we had a park day year of year celebration & Fri. We spent with friends. Yesterday, my kids (prek & 1st) we're asking for their beloved school time, so there is no doubt in this house school is year round (but so is the fun!) so why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RheaF
by Member on Jun. 22, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I school during the summer. We do 3-4 days a week, and usually it only takes us 3 hours in the morning(or during the hottest part of the day when we can't get outside).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)