Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Famous People "homeschooling"

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:39 AM
  • 8 Replies

Do you think it's good or bad for homeschoolers when people like Kate (of Kate plus 8) and Jolie/Pitt "homeschool" thier kids. Of course by "homeschool" most celebs mean "hire a  tutor" which does not represent your average homeschoolign family at all.

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:09 AM

Hmmm that's a good question.......... I think it may misrepresent what normal homeschoolers do like you said... we don't hire tutors typically.  But I could care less really.  I think homeschooling is becoming so huge most people know that's not the typical...?  Its prob better for their kids considering EVERYONE knows who they are and has already formed opinion on them just because of who their parents are. 

misselphaba
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I think it's wonderful for *anyone* to keep their kids from school...no matter how they choose to do it ~ whether they hire someone else or teach the kids themselves, or unschool.  I think the main point is that celebrities think the public education school system sucks just as much as the rest of us do and would rather find other ways of educating their kids.

oredeb
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:17 AM

the word 'homeschool' nowdays covers a lot of area!

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I think, in some ways, it's very good. People will judge what their homeschooling, as they judge everything about celebrities. It does bring homeschooling into the media and makes it a little less anti-mainstream

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

And I probably need more coffee!

luvthesoap
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I don't know, but I find it a little insultaing. IF you want to hire somebody to teach your kid, why don't you just send them to school. I don't consider it homeschooling, if somebody else teaches your children.

I work hard to have the title of a homeschooler. I have had to suffer through chronic pain, sever drpression & anxirty, not being able to afford books, and other stuff. But I still teach my own. I don't pawn them on somebody else.

I'm sure some people will have some negiatve comments to say about me, but that's OK. I'm just saying how I feel.

Bettyn In Ky

momversuswild
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I agree

Quoting misselphaba:

I think it's wonderful for *anyone* to keep their kids from school...no matter how they choose to do it ~ whether they hire someone else or teach the kids themselves, or unschool.  I think the main point is that celebrities think the public education school system sucks just as much as the rest of us do and would rather find other ways of educating their kids.

DusksAngel
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I agree. 

Quoting MedicMommy:

I think, in some ways, it's very good. People will judge what their homeschooling, as they judge everything about celebrities. It does bring homeschooling into the media and makes it a little less anti-mainstream

MommaChell
by on Jun. 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Quoting oredeb:

the word 'homeschool' nowdays covers a lot of area!

agreed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN