Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What got you started?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM
  • 26 Replies

Was there something that happened? A person who influenced you? What initially led you to learn more about homeschooling?

coffeeI'm a mom who can't sum up what's right for her family in one paragraph

Yeah, yeah, I blog, too: http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2queenie2004
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:04 AM

When my DD was 3 and taught herself to read, the idea of not sending her to K began. Then the more I looked into it, the more I loved the idea.

DusksAngel
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM

A close cousin homeschools her children, after talking with her I started doing some research and decided it was best for my children too.

oredeb
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM

bullies!

MedicMommy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Honestly, it initially was watching the Duggar Family. It was the first time I really realized people do that. (I didn't find out until I spoke with FIL that DH was homeschooled for several years. He somehow forgot to tell me when we were discussing it) DH's family is all Amish/Mennonite, so they are pretty accustomed to it already.

I said from the get go that I was worried Wyatt would get bored and cause trouble. Guess what happened when he went to school this year? You guessed it. I got SO many notes home, and the teacher told me if I sent in some sort of activity book, it wouldn't be fair to the other kids. Then she told him one day that he wasn't allowed to have sugar for breakfast because he was wound up. (He had a honey bun as incintive to take his nasty liquid meds) I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that it was the first day in over a week that it hadn't rained, or that he was a 5 year old boy! That was the straw on this camels back!

I'm an anti-mainstream but not crunchy, homeschooling, big family wanting (but TTC for over 2 years), Christian, southern, weight watching, gentile disciplining, scrapbooking, blogging Momma http://mommatoafireboy.blogspot.com/

And I probably need more coffee!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:48 PM

oh goodness, I'm going to have to come back when I have more time ;) 

And BTW - congrats on losing 19.6 pounds!!!

katzmeow726
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:52 PM
We didn't want the twins to go to public schools around here. The quality of education is pitiful, and student safety is very low. It is a huge list.
But we also realized we will not be ablr to afford preschool and, eventually, private school.
It was like lightening hit, homeschool! We started researching, and the more we learned, the more we liked! So the decision was made. We will homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misselphaba
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I homeschooled for high school, started doing a ton of research while I was doing that.  When I got pregnant with my son, it just never entered my head that we would do anything besides homeschool.  I got my husband on board, my parents were always on board, and my MIL wasn't for it, but she was mostly quiet about it and now she's completely on board, to the point of bragging about the fact that her DIL homeschools.  lol

frstldyhmsch
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Good Question!  Well.....My oldest son was attending the private school that I taught at. He was in first grade and I taught 3rd & 4th.  So then report card time came and he had HORRIBLE grades! I was in awe! I thought "How could this be?"....then the school tried to get me to NOT FAIL HIM and allow him to go to 2nd grade! WHAAAAAAAT? yes...it's true. So I began working with him through the summertime just trying to SEE if he was able to catch up. And to my surprise....my son could not read! I DEMANDED to see lesson plans from his previous school year and....to my surprise....THE WOMAN DID'NT TEACH PHONICS!!!!!!  Yes my son knew his letters and their sounds but he struggled reading....I was livid! I already wanted to stray away from teaching because I knew what went on behind closed doors...so that is one reason....Reason number 2....My daughter began to suffer from febrile seizures and the second one she almost died from. The daycare centers are full of germs and with her being a premature baby she kept getting sick until her little body got tired of it. (at the time she was turing 2)....My OBGYN sat me down and said "Honey....Homeschool your children"....she told me that she schooled her own children and how she wished that she was homeschooled!.....So there that's my story lol :)

VickieCee
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Last year my daughter had a really rough time in school.  She was always a great student, and pulled high

grades etc.  But after some family drama and her father and I separating for good, I guess the stress

effected her and she started to slip on her grades.  She also started gettting into trouble.  

I started to look into different schools and a friend suggested I read about homeschooling and unschooling. 

(My friend has a cousin who homeschools).  I was ready to atleast learn about it so I did and it really just seems

right for us.   I work from home so I think we can pull it off!   So I decided after relocating recently, that instead of

starting a new school, we would start homeschooling.  We are both excited about it!

AbundanceMagnet
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM

For our family- My older 2 were in school, both struggling terribly.  I was going to meeting after meeting trying to get help for my boys and it just wasnt happening. 

My now 9yr old (on the Autism Spectrum) was in K then and their idea of helping him was to put him on the naughty mat all day when he couldn't focus.  He wasn't distruptive just would just sit and stare all day.  He actually enjoyed the naughty mat as it meant being alone, less stress, etc... he would just lay on it and stare at the ceiling for hours.  They never put him in any kind of program, tested him or tried to help him, just passed him on even though he couldn't count past 13 and had regressed since being in prek (he was in an ese classroom then)

My now 11yr old was in second grade and way behind.  They had him in what they call the intervention program.  Basically they try a bunch of silly things like moving him closer to the teacher, waiting weeks, another thing, wait more weeks... and if after so many months that doesn't show any improvement then they will finally test for learning disabilities.  So he failed 2nd grade.  They promised the testing would be done before the end of the year so he could be set up for the next  year with extra help, accomidations, so on... but that never happened.

So we decided to pull them out and homeschool for the following school year.  About 3weeks into the new year for us,  the school was calling saying they wanted to test my oldest, I agreed... they determined he has long and short term memory issues and wanted me to put him back in telling me that I wasn't qualified to homeschool a special needs child.  They told me they couldn't do anything with my other one until he was back in and failed a good half a year basically.  I told them we had rearranged our entire lives to homeschool because they were no help before, sorry but there was basically no way they were coming back... in not so nice words.  LOL 

So that was it for us... When my now 7yr old was of school age we just went with homeschooling for him.... never gave PS a shot.  We have talked about putting them back in from time to time when life gets hard or we have bad weeks, etc... but I just don't think I can ever do it!!!  I always remember how bad it was for them... the tears, the stress... AHH!!!!

Married, Self Employed, Homeschooling mom to 4 amazing boys!

Matthew (11) Andrew (9) Jordan (7) and Devon (2)

Follow me to http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079 to meet other Homeschooling Moms!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN